• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Chili

All three , with and without beans, have been super busy traveling to fairs and people seem to want to try everything especially if it is a little different, actually have had a few Texans say that even tho our smoked baked beans are great the menu deffinitly needs Chili to round the menu off. :rolleyes:

Well, I guess I can share my Chili Verde recipe ... or a close facsimile :heh:

1 large bone in pork butt
3 lbs tomatillos
6-8 whole Garlic cloves (do not peel)
4 jalapenos
4 green seranos
4 Anaheim peppers
4 med. white onions (do not peel)
1 bunch of cilantro (cleaned and chopped)
1 qt pork or chicken base (you can use stock)
4 TBS fresh oregano (cleaned and chopped)
Olive Oil for browning
Salt and black pepper
EVO, oregano and/or cilantro for garnish

Smoke butt to internal temp of 165*. Use a low or now sugar rub. I usually just rub with some paprika and hatch powder.

Let rest and cut into 1" cubes. (retain bone)

De-husk and clean tomatillos. Fire roast in smoker/over grill or char in broiler with garlic, onions, jalapenos, seranos and Anaheims.

Place roasted vegetables in plastic bags and let cool. Onions will take the longest to soften up so you probably want to put them on first, or you can halve them. root to stem, and speed up the cooking time.

Dice tomatillos. Peel and dice remaining vegetables. You can de-vein and seed jalapenos for less heat. (recommended for vending)

Place roasted vegetables and cilantro in food processor and puree. (Add a little EVO if it does not thin down to a liquid.)

Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Brown the pork slightly. Set on paper towels and drain. Do in small enough batches so you can ensure even browning.

In a large stock pot over medium heat add puree stock and bone.

Stir in pork cubes.

Add water or beer to cover meat. Stir gently.

IMMEDIATE SERVING:
Bring to a boil. Simmer uncovered for 1 hour. Stirring occasionally. Salt and black pepper to taste.

NEXT DAY SERVICE:
Bring to a boil. Simmer COVERED 1/2 hour for later service. Uncover and cool. Divide into smaller batches and chill. Salt and black pepper to taste.

REHEAT in microwave to a temperature of 165*

HOT HOLD in crock pot or steam table at 140*-145*

TO SERVE:
Ladle into a bowl or cup and drizzle a little EVO over chili. Garnish with a sprig of cilantro or oregano.
(I have used a dollop of sour cream in lieu of EVO as well)

This should yield about 1 gal of chili. For thinner chili add a little more liquid. For a thicker chili and a little texture add a little toasted maiza (a teaspoon at a time) till you achieve desired thickness. Do NOT add maiza until after cooking otherwise you will end up with a thick gruel with chunks of pork.

Hope this helps and if anyone does try this recipe out, let me know how it turns out.

Last edited:
This is a competition recipe. Adjust the seasonings to suit your taste. Add beans if desired, just not in competition. I gave this to a brother on another site who had never cooked competition before. He won peoples choice with it.

Directions:

1. Brown ground beef in oil.
  2. Add in broth, bouillon, tomato sauce, onion, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 2 Tablespoons chili powder, and tabasco.
  3. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 1 hour.
  4. Add salt and pepper, onion powder, 1teaspoon Garlic powder, chili powder, 1 tablespoon cumin, paprika, and 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes. Stir and simmer another hour.
  5. Add remaining cumin and red pepper flakes, stir, and cook 30 more minutes.
  6. Best if prepared the day before and reheated the next day

Back