Sunday Smoke

CraigC

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Picked up a couple shoulders at Costco yesterday. Decided to try a soak, which I have never done with shoulders before. Made up some rub and mixed it with apple cider and cider vinegar (2-1). Had some left over soak which I turned into a mop by adding more cider. After an over night bath in the soak and bringing the smoker upto temp, on they went.

Some pron after 2 hours and the first mop.

72259-s-0.jpg

Temp right on the money.
72260-s-0.jpg

I'm using a combo of oak and pecan. More pron to follow when finished.

Craig

Looks good!:cool: I have to admit, I'm not familiar with this "soak" thing, but it sounds like it certainly can't hurt!:thumb:

I thought the cook was supposed to be marinated? I should get started now.

Looks great! I have that same smoker, I wouldn't trust that temp guage after your first few cooks. Mount some better ones on either side of the lid just above grill level. The CG temp guage gives readings 50 to 75 degees cooler than my new grill level ones.

Looks great! I have that same smoker, I wouldn't trust that temp guage after your first few cooks. Mount some better ones on either side of the lid just above grill level. The CG temp guage gives readings 50 to 75 degees cooler than my new grill level ones.

Thanks for the suggestion! Problem would be the readings would be off, especially on the fire box side. I have not made any modifications to this unit. I only use it 5-6 times a year, so maybe I haven't had the original thermometer go bad. Everything seems to get done in the anticipated time frame.

Craig

I've made a few mods, including a baffle from the firebox, so my temps only vary 10-15 degrees from side to side. Was just a heads up. I like the smoker for the price, just had to tweak it a bit.

Besides potato salad, I'm trying to decide on another side.

Maybe some collards.
72295-s-0.jpg

72296-s-0.jpg

Or eggplant.
72294-s-0.jpg

Probably greens since they are more traditional.

Craig

Getting close to dinner. Time to get the greens going.

72297-s-0.jpg

The shoulders are off. I stole some of the skin to make cracklings for the greens about 2 hours before I pulled them.

72298-s-0.jpg

After resting, I hand shredded the pork. I don't like the chopped style.

72299-s-0.jpg

The final plating! Yum! Just some Wonder Bread for the sandwiches.

72300-s-0.jpg

Craig

Back