Head Country Spice

W

wishinfishin

Anyone used it? Any complaints, suggestions, bewares...etc. Just bought some the other day and have not had a chance to put to work yet. Thinking about doin some spares this weekend.

i use it alot, but find it salty by itself, so i cut it with about 30-50% turbinado or brown sugar, depending on what im doing.

use it mostly on birds and pigs, dont care for it on beef.

Head Country products are excellent. You will be very pleased. They are consistent and you know what you will get.

With that being said, you still need to make your "Q" your own. To me their rub always needs more garlic powder and a little onion powder. Depending on your meat, a little brown sugar.

As a base product there is no better rub. Spice it to your taste.

Sauce: The basic sauce is a great sweet sauce. I make it mine! Add a little white pepper, garlic powder and a small amount of blues hog! You have "your own" great sauce, once you remove the label from the bottle. lol

Marinade: A little intense for me. I do not marinade in it. I do roll my pork tenderloins in it for about 15 seconds before putting on the rubs. The same for steak. It does a great job. Be certain to shake the bottle well before using.

The best part about Head Country is that is will complement your type of cooking. Experiment and have fun.

Yours in BBQ
Merl

BBQchef33 said:
i use it alot, but find it salty by itself, so i cut it with about 30-50% turbinado or brown sugar, depending on what im doing.

I also add sugar. I don't use it on beef either, I have my own injectable I use.

I have a little left from the gallon I bought. Used it almost exclusively on brisket. I like it but now I have a bunch of other rubs I need to try.

tommykendall said:
I have a little left from the gallon I bought. Used it almost exclusively on brisket. I like it but now I have a bunch of other rubs I need to try.
Need some more rub there tk?:mrgreen:

I've used it... I agree it's salty... I thought the garlic powder was a little overpowering... I've done a 50% mix of Head Country and Spicewine's Heffer Dust (or Hog n Hen Dust) and found that to be a lot more palatable... It's an interesting combination... tastes better when finished than if you just mix in a bowl and taste separately as a dry rub

I've only tried the marinade once on some ribeye's... Pretty good, but did not think it was worth buying again to pay for shipping etc.

BBQchef33 said:
Just the opposite here. Not so great on chicken and ribs. Love it on brisket and pork steaks.

smokincracker said:
I never use it!!!!!!!????????

That is all I need to know!

Jimmy is one of my BBQ idols.
He would never, ever, fib to us.
So, I will just save my money. :wink:

TIM

I use it now and then but doctor it up a little, since it's a little salty for my taste as is.

As mentioned above- a little salty. That being said, it's my go-to rub when I don't have the time or inclination to male my own.

And it's made in Oklahoma!

Merl said:
Head Country products are excellent. [SNIP]
The best part about Head Country is that is will complement your type of cooking. Experiment and have fun.[SNIP]

I've found Great Results by combining a rub that I think is not sweet enough (Jack Stack Steak Rub) with a rub that I found to be just a little too sweet (KC's Cowtown All Purpose).

Experimentation is where the FUN is!

/Brother Dave

Back