• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What is the best time? (to visit MIM)

Gatordawg

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Well next weekend my family and I head off to the Memphis in May BBQ festivities! I am really excited, this is my first big time competition to attend! I have a question!

When is the best time to be there? Is getting early worth the effort? I want to see all the rigs, etc. so that won't be a problem, but I know they do a thing when you can pay a certain amount and try out the cue from different sites. Do some sites ever just say here take some for free?

I just want to go and get the best experience and not look like a dork in the process. So if anyone has any great wisdom I am all ears!! Thanks and maybe someday I will be on a team at this thing, that would be fun!!

Assuming that this is a Friday to Saturday event, if you want to be able to talk to the competitors, Friday afternoon and evening is best. Once the guys get set up, things are pretty calm until the butts and briskets start going into the cookers. If you want to watch the action, then go on Saturday, but the teams will not be open to visiting then.

Friday night is usually when the teams host their parties. You will most likely not be able to chat with teams or see their pits then. Many teams have someone at their entrance to keep uninvited folks from entering their space then. I went Thursday evening a few years back. That was the perfect time. I would say that Friday afternoon would also work.

We usually show up early for the big ones. Never been to MIM, but I would assume it is like others, and you can show up Thursday evening. get in, that give you time to look around and get what you forgot before the masses arrive. You'll be able to walk around and chat it up - look at rigs, maybe help someone with an ez-up ; Early is good.... or after they have prepped thier comp. meat.

For MIM, teams show up the weekend before. It's like nothing you've ever seen at a barbeque contest. Everyone should attend at least once. They build very elaborate structures and the parties are huge. You gotta go!

For me anytime you are at a contest is a good time. Lots of fun and great people. The competition teams we have met are amoung the nicest people you will ever meet.

Back