looooong UDS cook

1FUNVET

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Monday around noon, i fired up UDS for some MOINK balls and 3 fatties. After they were done i shut it down( or so i thought-alcohol involved of course). When i got home yesterday (Wednesday)i told myself " wonder who's cooking" as i could smell the sweet aroma of smoke. As soon as i walked in the house my neighbor called and wanted to borrow my battery charger. Well i walked out to my shop behind the house and found out i was the one cooking. :laugh: I had not closed the ball valve completely and the daisy wheel exhaust was also partly open :doh: Temp was @ 125. I figure i got at least 54 hours of burn time on a full basket of charcoal and it was still going.

The food was fine, i took it off when it was ready,just forgot to shut down the UDS completely.

It's people like you that cause Global warming :doh::tsk::drama::mrgreen::icon_smile_tongue::flame::cop::scared:

When I did my initial seasoning burn on my first drum several years ago...I loaded that baby up (15 - 20 lbs of Kingsford briquetts) and let it go... 3 hours in I did a couple of fatties and pulled them off and just let it go with the ball valve open as well as the vent. 36 hours later it was still humming along at 225° :shocked: I quit checking it after that, but I know I got 40+ hours at 225°.
That's when I knew I truly had something special on my hands :wink:

When I built my drum all I could find is one ratty old drum. So, it doesnt really seal up that good, still works like a charm though. Sunday I did a couple fatties at the lake. Then closed it up as tight as possible. Monday afternoon we went back to the lake & I had 2 Tri-Tips to cook. Same deal temp was about 125, opened her up & looked in & it looked like I still had enough fuel to cook my TT's. I didn't take a chance though. Added a bit more charcoal, opened up the nipples & the valve & an hour & a half later I was cooking again. I can't wait to build one out of a good drum.

same thing for me....i did a cook forgot to shut her down and 36 hrs later went out to my bbq pad and notice there was still smoke coming out and it was about 125 degrees as well....so yea i also knew this is a smoking machine.....:thumb:

you should have made some jerky!!!! sounds like it was just right for it.:thumb:

my last cook, having started with a 50/50 mix of half burned and fresh charcoal, i decided after cooking to just let it burn out, to start fresh next cook........26 hours after lighting, it was still at 190

Back