Please Judge my Turn Ins

The Pigman

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
These are my turnins from the past weekend at Kettering Ohio. This being my 1st Comp.

I rec. 6th in Brisket, 7th in pulled pork and 15 overall out of 39.

Attachments

• Kettering Chicken.jpg
    Kettering Chicken.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 183
  • ribs kettering.jpg
    ribs kettering.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 182
  • Kettering Pulled.jpg
    Kettering Pulled.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 184
  • Kettering Brisket.jpg
    Kettering Brisket.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 183
Roger you did a great job bro. Great looking brisket. All looks good but I really like the brisket. You are fun guy, hope you come to Madison.
Dale

Your ribs look really good. The only thing I would do different is put a thin coat of sauce on the top. I'd give them a good solid 8, maybe a 9.

Your brisket looks great too. 8 there as well.

Pork looks good, probably 7.

Chicken- sauce is a little uneven, maybe some finger prints too. I would say a 6.

The mistake I made is I went my by my motto "Nothing to hide sauce on the side" The finge prints on chicken is where my one crew member started to sauce it and I yelled and wiped it off........Need now to apollogize to him because I think the low scores for chicken and ribs were because of no sauce. We live and learn...........

This dude's pulling off parsley boxes his first comp! Someone's been paying attention. Anyone here turn in boxes that pretty their first comp?

Good stuff, shape the chicken, give the ribs and brisket a spritz and cut off a money muscle and you'll have some major league looking turn ins.

The one thing I see is that the chicken does not look real uniform. Granted, I am new to all this but I think it would look better if they trimmed to be more uniform.

Brisket does look like it needs a light coating of something wet and the ribs could have had some sauce painted on the top.

Great looking boxes in all though. Amazing work with the parsley.

This dude's pulling off parsley boxes his first comp! Someone's been paying attention. Anyone here turn in boxes that pretty their first comp?

Good stuff, shape the chicken, give the ribs and brisket a spritz and cut off a money muscle and you'll have some major league looking turn ins.

Money Muscle??????????? Thank you for the complements means alot.

When shaping chicken do you cut off skin to????

Money Muscle??????????? Thank you for the complements means alot.

When shaping chicken do you cut off skin to????

I just learned what a money muscle was this weekend. One heck of a piece of meat!

As for the Chicken, you want to trim the chicken and leave some of that extra skin there so when it shriks during cooking it does pull up and leave bare spots. At least that is what I seem to think is the right way.

Nice job on your first comp. Like bobby said, trim up the chicken a bit and add a glaze to your ribs.

Our first comp boxes were pitiful. Not just bad garnish, but our food was not even close to his. I agree that Roger has it going on.:eusa_clap

Thank you all for the compliments but what is the money muscle?????????????
From what I understand, the money muscle is the thick, round section of pork butt that is directly next to the bone. It comes off very easily, is very tender, and captures a lot of the flavor that is put into the butt. It also has a little bark on the end of it, so the judges get everything.

Our first comp boxes were pitiful. Not just bad garnish, but our food was not even close to his. I agree that Roger has it going on.:eusa_clap
He sure does. I wish my first entries were as good as that. Brisket beyond overcooked. And for historical purposes that chicken you see below was my first 13th place chicken

Last edited:
Back