Starting my first UDS build,

Dadeo719

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So joined the forum bout a week ago, so figured jump in the pool with a UDS build here's the initial pics. Hoping to get more done tomorrow. Scored 3 barrels for 9 bucks a pop. No lids though, bummer. And 2 full sheets of expanded metal for 20 bucks. Feeling good about that. I think these have the dreaded red liner in them that I've red about. Plan on doing a burn on it and hoping for the best. So here I go holding my nose and jumping in the deep end!!

Last edited:
the pic w/the metal sure looks like they have the dreaded liner to me. that's gonna be a bear to get it out of all 3!

Any suggestions? I might have access to a sandblaster. Would that be the best?

Any suggestions? I might have access to a sandblaster. Would that be the best?

sand/media blasting. if you can use the blaster, go for it! otherwise, you're probably gonna have to grind it out.

So basically I need to get it down to the bare metal anyway possible. Wish I would of paid more attention to what I was getting...:-?

Sand blast it. Worth every penny. Mine was clean in 12 minutes, when I do another I will have a blaster lined up ahead of time.

I just built one, and mine had the red liner. I burned it out twice, and I used a knotted wire wheel. Having to reach down to grind it was the worst part.
Maybe 2 hours to grind it? Not bad. Seemed it was made to sound harder then it really is.

In the interest of saving time, here is a post I made in the UDS thread:

For you guys that have the "dreaded" red liner in your barrels. Burn about two barrels worth of oak pallets through your barrels and then paint or do whatever you are going to do to the outside. Then spray the inside down with Pam or some other spray oil and fire that baby up and start cooking. With the heat generated from 2 burns of oak pallets, there is no worry about any baddies left in the barrel that will leach out and affect any cook you might do in your UDS.

Think about it! When your up to cooking temp, the sides of the barrel on the outside is not hot enough to burn your hand if you accidentally touch it. It won't scorch the paint you painted the drum with, so it will not get hot enough to put out any bad fumes from any left over red liner. Besides, the pam will form a layer of soot and seasoning to the inside of the drum. My drum had the red liner and after two hot burns, I quit and did not sand, grind, or do anything else to the inside of my drum. I finished the outside and then started cooking on it. Two years later, I am still alive and well and my drum is like it was when I built it. (Of course I do have a second nose growing on my forehead, but I think it was caused by other outside forces.) :becky:

Blessings,
Omar

Back