• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Anything but turkey.

Mo-Dave

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I am having a turkey as usual except this year I bought a 25 lb turkey and plan on halving it and keeping the other halve to cook at a later date. I bought a nice tri-tip and if all goes wel,l plan on serving this as well. This will be the first time having anything except turkey and only cooking part of that so I was wondering what some of you are serving? I know not everyone likes turkey or even chicken. Any suggestions for a dressing that will go with both turkey and beef?
Dave

I can't help you here much. I'm cooking two 14lb birds with all the trimmings for Thanksgiving for 20 people. To me Thanksgiving is turkey, if somebody wants ham, chicken, sausage, jambalaya or tri-tip, they should pretty much bring it with 'em.

I am having a turkey as usual except this year I bought a 25 lb turkey and plan on halving it and keeping the other halve to cook at a later date. I bought a nice tri-tip and if all goes wel,l plan on serving this as well. This will be the first time having anything except turkey and only cooking part of that so I was wondering what some of you are serving? I know not everyone likes turkey or even chicken. Any suggestions for a dressing that will go with both turkey and beef?
Dave

Try a savory cornmeal stuffing....

I can't help you here much. I'm cooking two 14lb birds with all the trimmings for Thanksgiving for 20 people. To me Thanksgiving is turkey, if somebody wants ham, chicken, sausage, jambalaya or tri-tip, they should pretty much bring it with 'em.

Yes my Thanksgiving is a very traditional one with all the trimming and such, but I have a couple who do not care for fowl of any kind coming so thought I would toss a tri-tip on the grill and cut back on the turkey a bit. The grill will be ok but I am not allowed to smoke anything on that day. Man I wish someone would bring over some jambalaya or just some good old spiced boiled shrimp.
Dave

This years menu will be:

Fresh Stone Crab
German Potato Salad
Fresh Corn on the Cob
Fresh salad greens with home grown tomatoes

A little different........

This years menu will be:

Fresh Stone Crab
German Potato Salad
Fresh Corn on the Cob
Fresh salad greens with home grown tomatoes

A little different........

That all sounds great, wish I could keep is as simple but I go way overboard at the last minute. Also wish we had better sources for sea food around here.
Dave

I doing a Pork loin instead of Turkey this year

Marinate for pork loin

1/2 cup balsmic viregar
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tbl montreal steak seasoning

marinate loin for 4 hrs
place marinate in a sauce pan and bring to a boil allow to cool
pour into a roasting pan place loin in pan and roast in a 350 deg oven until loin's IT is 145 remove from oven drain pan juices and reduce tent loin with foil and rest 20 min before service serve with sauce on the side.

This year I bought a whole ham (About 19 lbs) , cured, smoked and fully cooked to double smoke in the kettle with a finishing glaze I've yet to decide on. Have not decided on sides yet, other than Redhot's Gramma's corn bread dressing.

I am doing the tradtional turkey in the oven with the patiodaddiobbq.com brine. But i am firing up the smoker to do 8 turkey legs, ABT's and a fatty.

I'm attempting to smoke my first turkey this year. Although a nice tritip sounds delicious, I have a 4 day weekend and will need to change up from left over turkey. Good luck though. I think a nice wild rice filling would definitely go well worth turkey and beef. Good luck to all those that are cooking and happy Turkey day to everyone else. Can't wait to see some of everyone's pron next week!

Back