Sat. Rib cook

G

GridironGriller2

I'm starting a test run today on the ribs for the UAB/University of Memphis BBQ contest. I'm a little rusty since the last time I cooked ribs was back in June for the Variety Club contest. I'm going to try to cook to the times that were set out in the UAB rules. Example set-up begins around 9 am cooks meeting at 11am and turn-in at 5pm. I have to adjust my cooking schedule a little do to the short time available. I like to marinate my ribs overnight or for at least 6hrs but in this case I may get max 3hrs. Going to cook three racks of baby backs today. At the competention they want 10 pieces so I'm planning on going with 5-6 racks to make sure I have enough. So lets begin. By the way excuse the bad picture quality I'm having to use my camera phone.

Ribs with membranes pulled and cleaned
0913080834.jpg

Ribs marinating... ok I cheated a little I started at 8:30am I;m ready to cook some ribs
0913080839.jpg

I will post all day long updates and pron. If you have any suggestions or criticisms please feel free to jump in.

Here is the grill with mods suggested by everyone here. The wood we will use today and the charcoal.

0913080921.jpg

0913080922.jpg

Final product need to back down on black pepper in the rub and the tenderness was a just a hair off. Besides that I like them.

0913081551.jpg

0913081708.jpg

Looks great. I haven't cooked ribs in a while either and that just made me want some.

I have six racks thawing in the fridge, ready for tomorrow's supper. Let's hope mine come out as well. If they don't, do you have any leftovers?

Looks like you nailed that one!:wink:
Great job! Let us know how you do, and hopefully you will get a call at the comp., bro.

Good job... just never get the urge to use FRESH pineapple juice.

I have six racks thawing in the fridge, ready for tomorrow's supper. Let's hope mine come out as well. If they don't, do you have any leftovers?

Sorry no leftovers expect the bones....

Good job... just never get the urge to use FRESH pineapple juice.

I hear a story here .....

Thanks everyone I feel pretty good now that I have shacking the rust off a little. I may try one more test run in the next week or so.

Back