Mini WSM Questions

I'd like to keep it full length so I can hang a couple of slabs of ribs in it.
Stability wise I realize it'll be tall vs the narrow width but I also plan on modifying the legs of the kettle to give it a much wider footprint using larger aluminum bar stock.

Yep, it can be done. Several brethren have done this w/ a 15/16 gallon drum. Or just make a mini UDS. Do a search on "15 gallon drum", and you should find multiple examples.

Last edited:
... The grill fits so tightly that I can't take it in and out before and after a cook.
I've made several of these (for myself and the kids) and some of the grates were a real tight fit. To solve that I cut about a 1/4" out of the circumferential wire and my son welded them back together. If I didn't have a son with a welder, I'd trade some 'Q for some help at a local welding shop.

The kids and I built a couple of these using the Vasconia pots.
We put two grates in each one. The bolts for the top grate are 1.5" down from the top lip, and the lower grate bolts are 5.5" down from the top lip.
This config gives 4" of clearance for each of the grates.
We mounted the thermometer just below the bottom grate.

Yep, it can be done. Several brethren have done this w/ a 15/16 gallon drum. Or just make a mini UDS. Do a search on "15 gallon drum", and you should find multiple examples.

Yes, I can easily go the mini UDS route but since I already have an old Smokey Joe laying around I'll use the kettle. This will also add more distance between the coals and the grates or hangers.

Back