View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #1
BobM
Babbling Farker

Default WSM Thermometer Mod Question

Hi all, doing some mods to my WSMs.

I plan on permanently mounting an analog thermometer in the middle section of my WSM. I plan on mounting it above the door, in the center, half way from the door top to the top lip.

I plan on getting a Tel-Tru BQ225, with a 2" dial.

Tel-Tru has a 2 1/2" stem and a 4" stem version. The 4" stem version will get the tip of the probe somewhat away from the outside of the cooker, which is good. I am concerned that it might get in the way when I use the lower rack, especially on the 18 1/2" WSM, or grease from the meat on the top rack might drip on it making it give false readings.

Questions:
Will the 4" stem length unit better reflect the cooker temperature or will the 2 1/2" stem length be fine?
Will the 4" stem length unit get in my way when I cook on the lower grate or is dripping grease a problem?
What do you UDS cookers use?

Thanks in advance,

Bob
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote