What's up with the complaining?

W

wormdrink67

The KCBS Comp in Cumming, GA last weekend was awesome. 92 pro teams and many of those being top teams in the country. I'd recommend this comp to anyone who likes to mash it up with the best of the best.

However, I encountered several teams that said the comp was too big, they didn't like comps with over 50 teams and that they wouldn't return next year because of it. Am I missing something? As a competitor, I don't understand who wouldn't want to be in a field of that caliber.

The KCBS Comp in Cumming, GA last weekend was awesome. 92 pro teams and many of those being top teams in the country. I'd recommend this comp to anyone who likes to mash it up with the best of the best.

However, I encountered several teams that said the comp was too big, they didn't like comps with over 50 teams and that they wouldn't return next year because of it. Am I missing something? As a competitor, I don't understand who wouldn't want to be in a field of that caliber.

Some people just have a fear of large contest.

There's a bunch of reasons teams do this:
1. They like being the Big Dog at a contest
2. They are just getting started and are intimidated by alot of Big Name Teams
3. They fund their contest schedule with winnings - they feel if you put too many big fish in the pond and they kill each others chances of big money
4. Some people like how it used to be, with just 40-50 teams...they can't take the growth and change the sport is undergoing
5.There are probably a thousand different reasons why they would say this but the main one is...Us BBQ people just like to B#tch alot :becky:

I bet when you return next year they will all be there competing, and spouting off the same things as this year...

Neil

The sooner young cooks learn that it's you vs. judges and not vs. the 'big name' teams. Big name teams dont control the contest. You do as a cook. I personally enjoy cooking against the 'big boys'. If you cant get up for cooking against the best, then youre not a competitor.

Go out and have fun, cook your best and dont worry about anyone else.

'You' is used in general terms.

The team that puts the "best" product on the "best" table is going to win. Admittedly, the "big boys" have a better shot at this because they cook more and have spent more time refining their skills, but like they say: "On any given Saturday ....." :becky:.

Cumming was a first class contest, especially for a first year event. Great sponsor work and super reps on hand. Big name competitors to challenge the entrants. It doesn't get much better. Anyone who complains has no basis for it.

Hub

I was not at this contest, however I do have experience with both large and small contests alike. I love the intimacy of the smaller contests (even if five of the top ten teams in the nation are there) and the intense competition of the larger ones. I don’t look at the contest size when planning which to go to, but rather the reputation of the organizers or personal experience with any given contest.

Some of the issues/complaining could have been driven by the organizers – two specifics stick out in my mind from this year:

1) when a contest gets big, the organizer crams teams into spots – I did a contest this year that went from 30 some teams to 50 some teams and this year over 70 – numerous teams had to contend with cooking in muddy sites or grass that was so slick you could barely stay on your feet. This IMHO was to fill the coffers of the organizer – I will not return.
2) Also as the number of contestants grows, the payout should grow and the number of calls should be expanded. If you have a small contest, say 25 or less teams ribbons & cash to the top five is fine, 25 to 50 teams should at least call the top ten & cash to at least the top five but top ten would be nice, 50 – 75 teams should at least call the top 15 & cash to the top ten but top 15 would be nice, and any contest with over 75 teams should call the top 20 and cash to the top 15 but top 20 would be nice. The contest mentioned above only gave ribbons out to the top 5 and cash to the top three if I remember right – as stated before I will not return.

Sorry for the long rant, but these smaller contest that grow too big too fast without taking care of the teams will earn a bad reputation and lose teams quickly.

10 teams or 100 teams.. shouldnt matter.. Your cooking for the judges, not against the teams. IMhO, if the contest was a first year event, and was well organized, the teams will come back, and for every one that drops out, 2 more may fill the spot. We were actually considering going to this contest, but the drive was 930 miles. I wussed out.

What Scottie said. Our 1st contest was 70+ teams and we got 1 call (4th) and no money. I was and still am a nobody, but, I ain't scared........Up against 100 or 2, you still have to be the best that day.

10 teams or 100 teams.. shouldnt matter.. Your cooking for the judges, not against the teams. IMhO, if the contest was a first year event, and was well organized, the teams will come back, and for every one that drops out, 2 more may fill the spot. We were actually considering going to this contest, but the drive was 930 miles. I wussed out.

I agree, the reputation of the organizer will carry this contest. Cooking against the best just betters your "game." It's also nice if you can get a higher call than one of the Big Boys. The teams that complained probably don't compete much and could learn a lot by just watching how relaxed the experienced teams are at the event and talking with them - not shigging though - that could cause problems.

I look at each event as a competition against myself. Staying consistent, only changing what I have proven and tested. Leaving what works alone. Anyone can win a competition on any day. It depends on you. Having a large attendance or big names in the space next to you don't cost you a comp.

Scottie from CSC is right. Have fun, that's why we do this.

We cooked at Cumming. Randall & Company did a fine job, and we will probably be back. Still, I can appreciate those that express a preference for smaller shows. In addition to the longer odds and reduced intimacy already noted, the increased number of teams can make getting in and out more of a hassle, and the larger crowds may be an annoyance for some cooks.

I like both kinds of contests. Big and small can both be good, as long as the event is well managed and the participants made to feel appreciated.

The sooner young cooks learn that it's you vs. judges and not vs. the 'big name' teams. Big name teams dont control the contest. You do as a cook. I personally enjoy cooking against the 'big boys'. If you cant get up for cooking against the best, then youre not a competitor.

Go out and have fun, cook your best and dont worry about anyone else.

'You' is used in general terms.

Got that right.

As a rookie team this year this was by far the largest competition we cooked. Largest before was around 50ish teams. While we knew it would be tough we were excited to see ow our food would stack up. We did great for us and had an awesome time.

I would like to offer an opposing thought, we did a several small competitions in one particular state and not one event was over 50 teams, most events 1/2 that amount, very friendly and warm. We developed many new relationships and my team looks forward to do these as fun social events.

Last year a large competition came to that state with many large power teams in attendance. Of course we signed up and then started queering if or local friends were going to attend. They told me that they would not.

Their thought was the more power travel teams attended, the less opportunity for them to get a call. They felt they were merely fodder for the prize pool. This was not an isolated opinion but systemic with several teams offering the same thought. We went and the atmosphere was very different. Getting to the podium was tough, got a call and thankful for the one, it paid our registration fees.

I get what they are saying, this is the transition from what BBQ was, and the progression of what the BBQ “Sport” is turning out to be. Don’t get me wrong, I like to cook with the big boys, but there is something to say about a small intimate event. It’s not always about winning but the comradeship of the competitors verses the chase for points, prestige and money. Its just a very different game hat.

Cheers

Mike -- The Black Pig BBQ
London Ontario Canada

The only issue I have with larger contests is the fact that they often have a rougher time getting experienced judges.

I may be the only one with this opinion but, I really don't like going to a contest where they have a judging class on Friday night to judge Saturday afternoon.

I like cooking small intimate contests as well. I also recognize that i am a team that folks recognize from what i do for cancer research. i also know it gives some of the smaller or local teams great pride when they say they beat a World Champion. Honestly, i am happy for them that i cooked like crap and they beat me... POS judges.... :becky:

I of course am joking...

Last edited:
The only issue I have with larger contests is the fact that they often have a rougher time getting experienced judges.

I may be the only one with this opinion but, I really don't like going to a contest where they have a judging class on Friday night to judge Saturday afternoon.

I think most would agree that events that permit a slew of freshly-minted judges delivers some wild variations in scoring.

I've heard that contests in other parts of the country have a hard time getting enough judges, but that is an area where we have no problems here in Georgia. Even with 14 KCBS events in our state in 2011, we have so many CBJs that there are typically 3-4 judges applying for every seat at contests here. It gives organizers the luxury of being able to pick and choose what judges they use, which usually is good for the teams. Not so good for new judges though, as the common complaint is they apply to many contests without being given the opportunity to judge.

Supply and demand...

I like competition and I like bitching... its who I am!

See you at a comp in 2012...

Back