Pork collar snake river

They weigh 5 lbs?

Yup, a pork shoulder butt is just as illegal as a collar butt.
The rule should probably read:
Any 5 lb or larger cut of meat originating from the pork shoulder primal.

why would a pork sparerib need to weigh 5 pounds?

Its a 14" Glestain Beef Slicer.

http://www.knifemerchant.com/product.asp?productID=6498

Slightly over the top.

The 12" is a bit more practical and more reasonably priced

http://www.knifemerchant.com/product.asp?productID=6349

i stand corrected then. that IS over the top. :becky:

but i use Shuns, so who am i to talk. :wink:

my wife's wrap, who was a chef at four seasons palm beach and algonquin club boston, was whostoff so i just figured...

but now i'm letting out my secrets...i've got a ringer

When someone called up Snake River Farms, they did throw out a bunch of BBQ Teams that use them... Even a team that finished in the top for TOY standings... So just sayin...

A pork collar is illegal. Because it came from an area near the shoulder, does not make it part of the shoulder. That would be like saying you could use a ham, because it is attached to the hog. Or pork belly, etc....

I still like the idea of reps walking around at 10:00 am to inspect meat. Reps do this anyway to make sure everything is going well for cooks and to show them the official time.

um no. skippy would be the prince consort of wannabebbq queen.

as far as i understand he has some thoughts on the KCBS pork rules.

you should know him, you roll in their used trailer.

um no. skippy would be the prince consort of wannabebbq queen.

as far as i understand he has some thoughts on the KCBS pork rules.

you should know him, you roll in their trailer.

I sure do know him. I was wondering why someone would just write skippy after they quoted me. Anyway I have the same feelings about the pork rule as him

i didn't quote you.

you for sure knoe him better than i, but,

i was actually hoping he had a web crawler that would catch his name, alert him, and join in.

from my conversations with him and julie they were very educated on the subject.

i just thought he might enjoy being part of the debate here.

no foul intended, jersey boy. you're living the dream, and i mean that in earnest.

...so has anyone tried the SRF Kurobuta Pork Spareribs?

What if I roll into town with these trimmed down?

http://www.premierproteins.com/Berkshire-Six-Point-Pork.asp

IMG_3257.jpg

Just sayin'

Nice pic!
I have tried the kurobuta spares and I did not care for them. Way too expensive for what I got. I did a side by side cook with K-$pares and regular ol Costco ribs. I preferred the cheap costco ribs by far. But I did not get the K-$pares from SRF.

That could be a good point Todd, my guess is the 4lbs is a guide...The briskets I ordered from SRF this summer said 14lbs on the website and I never got one under 17lbs. FWIW I've never seen/touched/cooked a "pork collar" from SRF or anyone else. But would like to see KCBS clarify their position:becky:

That's going to change now that they are selling them by size.

It does sound like the European cut of the collar has more money muscle in it, and based on some of the pictures people have posted it looks that way too. If that's the case, it should be illegal to use - it's not really the same cut of meat.

For what it's worth, I called SRF a few days ago and had inquired about their pork collars. I told them I was interested in using them for KCBS competitions. I also made mention of their web-site page that stated several championship teams were using them in KCBS contests. I asked them if they could tell me some of the teams that used them in contests and they would not mention any names. They also stated that there was some question as to whether this cut was legal for contests, due to their size. Nothing was mentioned about whether the cut itself was legal or not, only that most of the collars that they sold were under five pounds. I also asked if the collar meat was commonly referred to as cushion meat. The company rep informed that they were both one and the same and explained that different regions of the country use different descriptors sometimes. One other comment that really got us both laughing was the fact that SRF has received a lot of phone calls from people in the last week asking the same questions as I have.

Lager,

Juggy

The cushion (IMPS/NAMP 405B) is a sub-cut from the Picnic, this if a person trims it himself and it is over 5 lb, it is legal. I thought some one said though that this was the same as a butt but may have had more loin. If so, there needs to be some clarification. Perhaps the resident butcher has more info.

dmp

So, is anyone willing to admit they have smoked "cushion meat" for catering or home use?

If so, what was your impression?

From the description I saw online for cushion meat, I would think it to be a bit lean for me to want to BBQ it. It's supposed to be the lean side of the picnic. Completely different from the SRF online description of a (petite Boston butt).

I have heard Asian restaurants use the cushion meat for their pork kabobs... But that's just what I've heard.

The cushion (IMPS/NAMP 405B) is a sub-cut from the Picnic, this if a person trims it himself and it is over 5 lb, it is legal. I thought some one said though that this was the same as a butt but may have had more loin. If so, there needs to be some clarification. Perhaps the resident butcher has more info.

dmp

If they are now saying they have cushion meat that is funny. I guess its all up to who answers the phone as to what you might end up with. Sorry for the late response I have been out of town.

we need a porki leaks guy. I want to know who has the list and how can we get it published? how about an Abe Lincoln quote?

“I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live by the light that I have. I must stand with anybody that stands right, and stand with him while he is right, and part with him when he goes wrong.”

If it's known that it's going to happen a cook can plan for it. Let the reps start, randomly at one end or the other, or the middle of the field and make the rounds.

It sounds excessive, but so does subbing a different cut of meat.

Does that mean an organizer would require an additional rep just to do that, typically the judges are arriving around 10 so the reps are usually busy with them. From a former KCBS rep.

Back