• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Advice on a new skillet

Meat Meets Meat

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Just found out my mom wants a new skillet/frying pan for Christmas. Anyone have any good suggestions on a brand or style? I know this isn't bbq related so feel free to move if needed. Thanks!

Lodge makes a real nice heavy steel skillet made out of 12 gauge carbon steel. Still nice and heavy but not as heavy as CI. It comes in 3 different sizes too.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-CRS10-Seasoned-Skillet-10-Inch/dp/B005U93RYC"]Amazon.com: Lodge CRS10 Seasoned Carbon Steel Skillet, 10-Inch: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

It depends on what she wants.

For non-stick, I really like Bialetti ceramic coated.
For stainless, All-clad is the best, but, Calphalon is quite nice

I have been looking at the carbon steel, they are great. But, they require the same care as cast iron. And some folks find them to be heavy

I just recently bought one of the de Buyer Mineral B Iron pans (not cast iron) and I'm in love with it. I plan to replace my cast iron pans with these. It's sorta like a high carbon steel pan... it's very heavy and durable and after a good seasoning, it's as non-stick as anything else I have ever used...

seasoning the new skillet is high priority. My folks recpie is as follow:

1. Wash skillet out.

2. Heat oven to 450 degrees.

3.Fill it with rock salt.

4. Fill it 3/4 with peanut oil.

5. let it bake for 3 hours.

6. turn off the oven and let cool slowly over night.

A certified Louisiana recpie.

Happy cooking. Never put in the dishwasher just a wipe with dish washing soap and a hand dry!!!

Why not good ole cast iron? Lodge for a new one, or hit the yard sales and antique places for a Wagner or similar.

You could also scour flea-bay for a nice old Griswold CI skillet. There are lots out there to be had. Best CI ever made.

Cast iron is nice and Lodge is inexpensive. Cast iron skillets can be heavy.
I use carbon steel (also known as "blue steel') skillets as well. Like cast iron they tend to be heavy and need to be seasoned and maintained, but can also be placed in the oven if you run out of space on the stove top.

Maintaining the patina on both of the above is easy if you don't wash with soap but soak in hot water and wipe out with paper towels. Scouring with salt and an un-soaped pad helps as well. Both kinds need a thin coat of food-grade mineral oil in between uses - I usually wipe this out before cooking as well.

Lecreuset is (I think) enameled cast iron. I've got a few skillets, dutch ovens, and pots by them and they're really great. Expensive though.

All-Clad stainless is expensive but lighter and easier to clean and maintain. You might also consider it pricey cousin, Caufalon (sp?).

Update: Calphalon. I've got a pot, a skillet, and a mini-wok from them. Great stuff. Anodized aluminum, generally, vs. stainless steel for All-Clad. Just as expensive, if not more, than All-Clad, but if weight is an issue, then I'd go with either of these two. If price is an issue, Cuisinart is a step down (but not by much) and less expensive. Look for cookware with a thicker core near the middle of the skillet.

The name of the blue steel skillet on Amazon is "Paderno Heavy Duty Carbon Steel Frying Pans." These are the UDS's of the skillet world. There are a variety of sizes, but they start to get heavy above 11." I've got an 11" and a 12.5" and the latter is much heavier. Carbon steel is nice because it heats evenly and uniformly, like cast iron. They do have to be maintained though...

There is always tinned copper - but you'd need to take out a second mortgage to afford it. Not really suitable for the oven, either.

Last edited:
Back