Trimming Thighs

Now that's funny right there! I wonder if they still make that thing?

On topic: Yes you trim chicken thighs before cooking. The only trimming you should do when cooked is to snip off any little pointy bits that form on the edges. Any further cutting will be very obvious and hurt your appearance scores more than it helps.

many teams trim them more than cutting off the "little pointy bits" and do very well

I have no clue when it comes to getting thighs ready to cook so I'll stay out and watch for knowledge from the experts...

I have no clue when it comes to getting thighs ready to cook so I'll stay out and watch for knowledge from the experts...

Absolutly no expert here but this has helped me in the past. Although I have changed what I do now.

These were done hastely,It was the first time I had tried to trim them. Hope this helps you get to where you want to be. Some need more trimming, Some need less. Good Luck with em.

CompetitionChicken004.jpg

CompetitionChicken005.jpg

CompetitionChicken006.jpg

CompetitionChicken007.jpg

CompetitionChicken008.jpg

CompetitionChicken009.jpg

CompetitionChicken010.jpg

All I can say is in three years of cooking and judging in the Southeast I've never seen aggressive trimming of cooked thighs that I know of. How do you keep it from being obvious? How can you cut on a cooked piece without compromising the skin?

Maybe this is a midwestern thing, or a technique used for folks who grill thighs rather than smoke them? I'd love to hear more about this!

Oops, sorry. This post was meant as a reply to billm's, comment. Forgot to use the quote function.

All I can say is in three years of cooking and judging in the Southeast I've never seen aggressive trimming of cooked thighs that I know of. How do you keep it from being obvious? How can you cut on a cooked piece without compromising the skin?

Maybe this is a midwestern thing, or a technique used for folks who grill thighs rather than smoke them? I'd love to hear more about this!

Oops, sorry. This post was meant as a reply to billm's, comment. Forgot to use the quote function.

I cut down to the skin then sort of scrape (shave, whatever, Andy! :roll: ) in off the skin so the skin stays intact.

I cut down to the skin then sort of scrape (shave, whatever, Andy! :roll: ) in off the skin so the skin stays intact.

Are you scraping the skin after the chicken's cooked Jeff?

We scrape but do it before cooking.

I pull the skin off the thigh and scrape as much fat off the inside of the skin as I can. THen I cut as much yellow fat off the meat as I can while I try and shape the thigh. THen I roll the thigh back up in the skin, cut off any excess and put it skin seam side down in a pan to marinade.

similar to what the pictures above show..we actually remove the skin then cut the "oyster" out , trim up the sides then wrap skin back on. All the peices look uniform and look great in the box. As far as it looking obvious im not sure what you mean.

Are you scraping the skin after the chicken's cooked Jeff?

We scrape but do it before cooking.

Sorry Paul... I wasn't clear. I do all my scraping before cooking and before marinating. I do very little trimming after cooking. Only things that have started to stick out after cooking.

Mutha Chicken BBQ I owe you a cold one (or many)

Hopefully I'll run into you at one of the mid-atlantic comps one of these days. 8)

similar to what the pictures above show..we actually remove the skin then cut the "oyster" out , trim up the sides then wrap skin back on. All the peices look uniform and look great in the box. As far as it looking obvious im not sure what you mean.

You are doing this with the finished chicken just before building the box?

Our skin is so tender and bonded to the meat when the thighs come out of the cooker there's no way we could remove the skin at that stage without ruining the chicken. We've always done all our trimming raw except for cleaning up those odd bits that form during cooking. Whenever I've tried to do any serious cutting on a cooked thigh the result is always very noticeable - it sort of looks like somebody chopped off a bite before putting the piece in the box so we end up not using it anyway.

It seems like trimming after cooking would be more work because you'd have to reapply sauce and return them to the heat to set it after all that handling. What do you see as the advantages of trimming after cooking rather than before?

Mutha Chicken BBQ I owe you a cold one (or many)

Hopefully I'll run into you at one of the mid-atlantic comps one of these days. 8)

We'll be in stevensville this weekend! :-D Stop by anytime we'll have plenty in our camp!

Hope it gets you started, Again there were some very good tips provided in all the reading here. Good luck with it.

I sometimes pin also, but I am always afraid of forgeting to remove a toothpick in for turn-ins.

That's the reason I don't use toothpicks for the pinning... I use the longer metal skewers that would normally be used when sewing up a turkey... You can't miss it, it doesn't burn if your are browning on a grill, and it leaves a smaller set of holes...

And if you do choose to use toothpicks, don't use the colored ones which can leave colored holes. I saw that with a turn-in that I judged.

Thanks for the post. I did a practice smoke the other day; my wife and I fumbled through getting the chicken ready for the smoker. This helped a lot.

I sometimes pin also, but I am always afraid of forgeting to remove a toothpick in for turn-ins.

I do the pinning too after trimming. Last comp I missed one and DQ'd on chicken. That will surely bring your overall score down some!!!!!:icon_blush:

I will be looking for a new easier to see way to pin.

Larry

You are doing this with the finished chicken just before building the box?

Our skin is so tender and bonded to the meat when the thighs come out of the cooker there's no way we could remove the skin at that stage without ruining the chicken. We've always done all our trimming raw except for cleaning up those odd bits that form during cooking. Whenever I've tried to do any serious cutting on a cooked thigh the result is always very noticeable - it sort of looks like somebody chopped off a bite before putting the piece in the box so we end up not using it anyway.

It seems like trimming after cooking would be more work because you'd have to reapply sauce and return them to the heat to set it after all that handling. What do you see as the advantages of trimming after cooking rather than before?
no...before cooking ...like i said similar to the above pictures in this thread

Back