• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Where to Buy Insta Cure in OC/IE areas California

E

Ezra

My friend and I have harvested a hog. We are looking to make bacon and ham. I would like to start curing the meat as soon as possible. I need to find a local spot to pick up the insta cure to start the process. I should have looked into this before we killed the animal, but I had short notice...

My friend and I have harvested a hog. We are looking to make bacon and ham. I would like to start curing the meat as soon as possible. I need to find a local spot to pick up the insta cure to start the process. I should have looked into this before we killed the animal, but I had short notice...

I think your best bet is Claro's Italian markets. They have a few locations throughout SoCal. I say either the one in Tustin or Upland is closest to you. Unless you want to ask around in local butcher shops but that can take more time since you need it asap. Good Luck!

I too am looking for a source for the Insta Cure, but more in the San Diego County area. North County preferably.

Hey guys,

It's kind of hard to get that stuff locally so I order mine through sausagemaker.com. There are a few sources here locally (one in downtown L.A. culinary district for example) but they sell 5lb tubs IIRC for like $7 which is cheap but way too much pink salt for my needs. Also, there are a few specialty shops that carry them but I don't feel like driving to them since they're not closeby.

The closest I've found to that in a store is in Surfa's in Culver City, but it's "selrose", which I think is Instacure #2. For bacon, etc. you want #1 if I'm not mistaken. I looked around for it a while back and didn't have luck and just got it from sausagemaker.com like ssv3. What you can do is freeze the stuff you want to cure and thaw it out when you're ready to cure it. You might wanna check some butcher shops or maybe some outdoor/hunting type places.

From what I've read freezing it before curing is always a good idea .... Now if I could remember why....

Let me know where you find it as I'm looking forward to needing it myself

You can also purchase it on Amazon, though locally here I've had the best luck going to a good butcher shop. This is a good time of year as they'll have it on stock if they're curing their own hams.

Back