New Masterbuilt Gravit Feed

Picked mine up last week... So far I really like it. Grilled burgers after the burn off
A few observations so far The temp plummets once the unit is off so don't think of carry over heat, there is no thermal mass excluding the cast iron grates. I may be able to to use that to my advantage in time.
Even after seeing a few times to make sure to remove (and replace) the air gates I already forgot once. I want a few remove before flight ribbons
My lump is dusty so I keep the gates in place while loading the hopper that way it doesn't have an easy drift into the cook chamber.
small burning lump drops into lower pan but my understanding is thats normal for gravity feed and you put wood chunks down there for less smoke than chunks in the chute.

Blue tooth and Wifi are disappointing. I heard someone was doing a mod to improve reception but can't find a source. Guessing it just might be longer antenna

Did some reverse seer pork chops tonight.
Breaking down a slap of ribs tomorrow St Louis and some asian spiced sticky tips.

I'd buy it again as it stands. Helps that Fleet Farm gave me a $100 of promo on any $500 purchase. 560 and a bag of Kingsford

It's not the antenna that's the problem. It's Masterbuilt's lame app and controller software that's the problem

Do you think there are any sort of enforceable patent on this type of cooker? I'd love to see a Yoder type company come along and do this with really solid materials and proven controller tech...

Do you think there are any sort of enforceable patent on this type of cooker? I'd love to see a Yoder type company come along and do this with really solid materials and proven controller tech...

Agree. I’d buy one of those most likely. I like the idea of this cooker...but the build quality bid about what you would expect from a home improvement store. Very cool grill though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Isn't the point of this particular cooker it's price point? A more substantial build quality would result in higher $ and don't those already exist? I'm thinking about buying one because it lets me get into a reasonably good GF, without the high $.

Isn't the point of this particular cooker it's price point? A more substantial build quality would result in higher $ and don't those already exist? I'm thinking about buying one because it lets me get into a reasonably good GF, without the high $.

I disagree - I think that's definitely an advantage but, they've basically introduced a whole new cooker into the market. The same idea with a better build quality could have a really solid market in my opinion.

I agree. While I have not seen the 1050 in the flesh, I have seen and poked around the 560. No it’s not an Abrams tank, but I think you get a pretty good cooker for the price you pay. I also believe that the longevity of it will be in a large part on how well the owner takes care of it. Just my 2 cents.

I think it’s a completely different cooker than anything out there. Basically combining a pellet cooker with a charcoal grill...it’s a new segment imo

I wouldn’t expect more than a few years use out of it in its current build configuration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you hear/see something, can you pm me? I'm thinking the EXACT same thing. The key is that the cook chamber does have to be fairly "cheap" so that it can cool down quickly. But the cart and chute could/should be Yoder-like. Can you imagine????

If it sells well they'll probably produce a higher end model. Pellet grills are getting gussied up now that the market is mature and mainstream. Traeger, GMG, Pit Boss and OKJ are putting a lot more emphasis on how their cookers look and feel. Masterbuilt will have to do the same to compete.

Anyone tried using lump in one of these yet? I'm an all-lump guy. I know Masterbuilt says it works with lump, but I'm a little skeptical. Seems like the irregularity of the size of charcoal would cause problems. I could see the big chunks not falling throuh at all and a lot of the thinner or smaller pieces would fall down into the firebox prematurely.

Anyone tried using lump in one of these yet? I'm an all-lump guy. I know Masterbuilt says it works with lump, but I'm a little skeptical. Seems like the irregularity of the size of charcoal would cause problems. I could see the big chunks not falling throuh at all and a lot of the thinner or smaller pieces would fall down into the firebox prematurely.

The first 4 or 5 cooks on my 560 were with B&B lump. It did very well with very few unburned pieces in the ash catcher. What I like about the B&B stuff is the pieces are pretty uniform in size.
If you never tried it, the B&B Char Logs are great. Clean burning, lots of heat, and comes in 30 pound bags.

Hey guys, hope all are well during these troubling times. I've been away for a while due to doing Sous Vide. Anyway I once again have the itch, there is only so much time you can be away from pulled pork, ribs and brisket.

So years ago I got rid of my gaser and replaced it with the Weber Performer and an UDS. The Performer is a great grill and does well with multiple tasks you throw at it. The one thing I don't like is for a quick cook. I think it takes too long and too much of a pain if I'm just looking to sear some steaks. I've SV a ton of steaks and chicken over the last few years but not once did I use the Performer to finish them off with a sear. It's just too quick and simple to sear them with a torch.

The UDS was great for the time, but had too many annoyances for me over the years, the two biggest were holding temps overnight and unloading everything to add more coals. So I want a replacement.

By this point you may be asking wtf is this guy babbling about and why is he on this thread. I'm getting to it...

Out comes the Weber SmokeFire. This was going to be the pit that takes the UDS spot and allows me to do some QUICK grilling during the week. My goodness did the complaints come in with that pit. So I said I will wait for v2. While waiting I see this MB GF. And I'm like hmmm I know it's a cheap and it will be made that way BUT..... I does offer a check the boxes off on my need list.

So I ordered it at HD for pickup today, which they decided to ship by end of month... anyway.. Here is why I ordered it:

1. I have 180 days to return it... I'f I'm not happy I will just bring it back
2. This gets to 700* for grilling
3. I'm pretty good at taken care of stuff, my Performer cover is still in use and 9 years old! I expect I will get 5-7 years out of this grill.
4. This offers me the ability to set-it and forget-it
5. it gets to grilling temps in 15 min, that's a lot faster than my Performer using the built in fire assist.

I do think this grill has a place on the patio as a good multi purpose master of none grill. The great thing about this forum is there are so MANY knowledgeable members. I mean this is the site who taught me how to BBQ, and I will always point anyone to this site to learn or gain knowledge. Because of that, there are a lot of extremists that will only use the best of the best. Surprised none of you farkers converted a WWII sub into an offset!

I don't think anyone that is a member here for more than 3 months buys this GV because of the built quality, size capacity or the finest materials used. It's just a simple knock around grill that could do most of the tasks needed.

Once I get it I'll do some cooks, and report back what I think. As of now the only mods I plan to make is expanded metal on their coal grate and perhaps foil the top. I've seen a video where someone hammered in a steel firebox sleeve, unless that ships to my house for $50 I won't do it.

Nice to see some familiar avatars :) I hope you are all well and God bless.

-Gaspare

Back