Make Your Point!

I make burnt ends out of the point. Fake or not, where ever they originated, they are great!

Sent from my Android phone.

I'm probably 50:50 on slicing the point or making burnt ends..... but all burnt ends are not the same.... I generally go for the traditional version like this.....

brisketburntends1.jpg

I'm okay for serving them dry and letting folks add sauce if they want, but sometimes other folks like the reduced sauce version, so I'll make those too. I guess I'm kind of a tell-me-what-you-like kind of barbecuist.

dc6392cd.jpg

ccb419b3.jpg

Honetly, I only buy and cook briskets so I can eat the point!:becky: Sliced, chopped, burnt ends, doesn't matter...so long as it's good, well cooked point meat!

The flat goes into chili, or the dog bowl, or something else. I don't do as many brisket leftovers any more, so I only eat the good stuff. No time for that other crap.

Really.....?

I do the opposite. I always save and cube the point for chili meat and slice and eat the flat. Never considered doing the opposite. I trim the fat off of the point meat the next day because big bites of fat in chili ain't good eats. Maybe putting the flat in the chili is the way to go? How does it hold up?

As far as burnt ends, I've done them only once at home and they ended up real salty. Our comp burnt ends always taste great and I bring home the leftovers so we usually have burnt ends and slices in vacuum bags.

I'm new to smoking and even newer to cooking brisket. To be honest the first two briskets I've cooked I thought everyone was talking about the flat as what they made burnt ends out of. The point was the first thing I sliced and ate and I was like man that's good, the flats were good but I would rather eat the point and think it's way better. This Sunday's BBQ Pit Master show was where I realized it was the point they used to make burnt ends. Actually cut up some flat from my last brisket to make chili, no way I'm using point for anything else besides slicing and eating. :D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Who sells points?

Hey..I just found a meat market that sells points...my next cook will be a couple of points...one to slice and one to make burnt-ends.

Anybody else just cook a point.

I live in KC... Just across the line from you. Haven't been able to find a butcher shop that has points... Bichelmeyers, in KCK said they could get a case of them but no one seems to have them ready to sell.

Odd but wonderful timing Fo Sizzle. I had just reached the same conclusion this week (burnt ends good, flat meat dry) and was going to do the same this weekend. Thanks, bud.

Around here we save the brisket flats for the uneducated

Honetly, I only buy and cook briskets so I can eat the point!:becky: Sliced, chopped, burnt ends, doesn't matter...so long as it's good, well cooked point meat!

The flat goes into chili, or the dog bowl, or something else. I don't do as many brisket leftovers any more, so I only eat the good stuff. No time for that other crap.

I'm a point slicer now. The flat is for chili. Or ground up for hamburger. Took me 10 briskies or so before I figured out what was what.

Odd but wonderful timing Fo Sizzle. I had just reached the same conclusion this week (burnt ends good, flat meat dry) and was going to do the same this weekend. Thanks, bud.

If the flat of brisket is so bad and nasty and tastes bad, why is brisket so popular, why does everybody cook it and why is it a major bbq category in comps? Seems crazy to cook expensive meat that you don't even like? I honestly don't cook much brisket, because the farking things are nearly $50 here for a 8 lb. packer. I can get four big boston butts or racks of ribs or several good steaks or two bottles of good bourbon for that price. So let me get this straight-y'all actually routinely cook a $50 piece of meat that you don't like, then feed 3/4 of it to the dogs or grind it up into burger when you can get burger meat that isn't dry and tasteless for a third of the price? :shocked:

If the flat of brisket is so bad and nasty and tastes bad, why is brisket so popular, why does everybody cook it and why is it a major bbq category in comps? Seems crazy to cook expensive meat that you don't even like? I honestly don't cook much brisket, because the farking things are nearly $50 here for a 8 lb. packer. I can get four big boston butts or racks of ribs or several good steaks or two bottles of good bourbon for that price. So let me get this straight-y'all actually routinely cook a $50 piece of meat that you don't like, then feed 3/4 of it to the dogs or grind it up into burger when you can get burger meat that isn't dry and tasteless for a third of the price? :shocked:

I really enjoy both point and flat if I don't screw anything up. After chopping the point on my first few brisket attempts for "burnt ends" and being less than impressed, I found the light after slicing. I think I understand the term gold fever now as I'll hoard the sliced point meat as much as I can. Although after seeing some of the burnt end pics on here I may have to give them another go as mine didn't look that good. More like chunks of meteorite.

I live in KC... Just across the line from you. Haven't been able to find a butcher shop that has points... Bichelmeyers, in KCK said they could get a case of them but no one seems to have them ready to sell.

The place I am talking about is Steve's Meat market in Desoto. No far from me. I was quoted 2.49 a pound a while back...and they said they usually had them depending how many I wanted.

I tried making burnt ends but I put too much brisket drippings in the pan so they came out a little greasy....flavor and texture was good just too greasy. Still working on em.

I like making burnt ends (or fake burnt ends, I guess). I actually like the flat quite a bit. I've never really sliced the point and ate that (although I find myself picking at it quite a bit, as does my wife, when prepping the point for burnt ends).

Brisket just jumped in price recently. I was paying $1.58/lb (or less) for choice flat 10 years ago. In comparison, ribeye is only $1 more a pound today than it was then.

BBQ is cheap cuts elevated by the process. Find out what is cheap in your area and throw it on.

I think sliced flat is popular in comps is because it presents well, and takes some skill to cook correctly. There is after all, an appearance score that is very important. However, I often see burnt ends in boxes along with slices of the flat, those might help on the taste and tenderness scores. If you are paying $6/lb for brisket, you need to shop around..... I just bought two sixteen pound choice angus ones for $36 each.

EDIT - I checked prices today when I was at Sam's.... whole choice angus briskets were up to $2.48 lb.

Last edited:

Da brother's got a POINT.

.......sorry....:tsk:

But I have to say......there ain't NOTHIN wrong with that flat meat either. I can't see discarding of it in any way other than eating it just after slicing or putting the slices on sammiches the next day, which is how the 17 lb packer that I made on NYE got DESTROYED by my family (after I removed the point for chili meat).

I mean, do whatcha wont y'all, but in my book, not thoroughly enjoying brisket in any form is a little :crazy:.

My wife watched the last Pitmasters show and now has a jones for burnt ends... I went to the store (2 actually) and an 11 pound whole brisket (the only one in the store) was $55. I can't justify that. Can 'faux' burnt ends be made from something else? Perhaps chuck roast?

8was going for $55. As much as I'd like to do it I cannot justify

My wife watched the last Pitmasters show and now has a jones for burnt ends... I went to the store (2 actually) and an 11 pound whole brisket (the only one in the store) was $55. I can't justify that. Can 'faux' burnt ends be made from something else? Perhaps chuck roast?

8was going for $55. As much as I'd like to do it I cannot justify

Ouch! How bout hot dogs?

Back