Competition trophies

smoke-n-my-i's

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
For all of you that have had the honor of GE, RGC, I have a question for you.

Abt how tall are the trophies that you received?

My BIL is in charge of getting trophies for a 1st time comp fund raiser for the school where my nephew goes to. The money raised will go for the band. They have already had $10,000 donated for the prize money.

He asked me all abt the trophy sizes, and I couldn't really answer him as I haven't had the opportunity yet to get one in my hands....:mad: One day I will... so be ready to move over when I go through.... :p

He said he wants to make this comp the biggest and baddest of all in the state of FL. http://bartowbluegrassbbq.net/

Thanks,
Bill

not that I have one butt.... the one given at Berks BBQ bash was probably 4 feet tall, the organizer walked aroud with it and showed everyone about 1am, I thought that was impressive. At Pickin' in the Panhandle they gave out (too 5th over all) a 2+ foot carved pig, doesnt have to be big , just "special". just my 2cents worth....

I think it is more important that they scale properly WITHIN the single comp. GC should be largest obviously, then RGC, then 1st place categories, etc.

It is impossible to scale outside your own contest. We have a FOURTH PLACE ribs trophy that is 47" tall, and it dwarfs all our other trophies, as well as some GC ones I have seen. The top level trophies at that contest were absurdly big!

As a guide, 4 foot for GC, then 3 ish for RGC, then 2.5ish and down for the categories seems "right".

ALSO, a neat idea implemented at our last comp (I think the work of "Jiarby" who posts here) was banners that proclaimed GC. Those are nice trophies in themselves, and will lend themselves to being proudly displayed in future years at other comps.

The RGC from Elk Grove is about 3 feet and he first place category is about 20"

I think the Big Wiener takes the cake. (The trophy, not me)

Attachments

• brosinsmoke.JPG
    brosinsmoke.JPG
    223.1 KB · Views: 113
My favorite is a ceramic plate with a custom glazed design by a local art teacher...

Every plate(top 3 per cat) or platter(GC and RGC) is custom every year, they are highly coveted...

We didn't get a trophy or plaque for our GC and the check is what we were after but saying that I have considered having a ring made with some of the cash from the win.

I know it's not the same as them giving it to you but still a cool idea and something to remember the event by. It may even start a trend.

Thoughts?

I think I'd hafta vote for the one that actually pours beer... but it's nice and tall too.. about 4 1/2 feet.

Attachments

• IMG_6603.jpg
    IMG_6603.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 72
but a BIG check and/ or an event-specific trophy is always awesome too...

Attachments

• DSC03525.jpg
    DSC03525.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 71
My BIL is in charge of getting trophies for a 1st time comp fund raiser for the school where my nephew goes to. The money raised will go for the band. They have already had $10,000 donated for the prize money.

He said he wants to make this comp the biggest and baddest of all in the state of FL. http://bartowbluegrassbbq.net/

Thanks,
Bill

Bill, I met with the group from Bartow when we were discussing them sanctioning with us. They are one very motivated, organized, and hard working machine, and all indications are they will put on a great contest.

Unique trophies are definitely cool. Some of my favorites are like the ones mentioned above. I've got a couple from Dillard that are beautiful hand painted pottry platters, a couple from TN that are engraved wooden cutting boards, and one from Cartersville that is made from 100 year old barn wood. This weekend I won a cool one; a pontoon boat atop a big pedastal. Even has a motor that runs and spot lights!

I might be a little biased... But I like the one from Lynchburg...

Attachments

• GC.jpg
    GC.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 41
Not that I have a lot of experience winning the big ones, but I got a GC this weekend that features a handmade wooden bowl from the event organizer on top of a beautiful wooden base. The whole assembly is gorgeous! I believe, as has been stated, that anything unique to the contest would be great!

I just went and looked. My tallest is a GC that is chin high (I'm 6' tall). My favorites are actually from 1 contest 2 years ago, and are displayed in my kitchen, above the cabinets. They gave us "animal themed" trophies. Beef was a cow chalkboard, chcken was a handmade birdhouse, and ribs were ceramic pigs. This also highlights my weakness, pork!

Here are the trophies from the Shrine Club this year. They are 5 ft tall at the back. Something a little out of the ordinary.

ChampionshipChairs.jpg

Back