Great St. Louis Que

gt1043

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
All right you guys and gals, headed to St. Louis thursday... where do I get the best barbeque?

Can't go wrong with Pappys. Not sure what it's like during the week, but if you're going on the weekend get there early.

This place is right down the street from my home. It's a neat place, kinda "home town", which means the quality may be dependent on whether the boss is "pitmastering" that batch of food or one of his minimum wage minions wields the tongs. I've never had a bad meal though. But I give a cautious recommendation based purely on "feel", like at any moment they could dish out something that tastes like it came from the grocers freezer case.
Each table is equipped with a small galvanized bucket with a full roll of paper towels, if that helps paint a picture.

Company B BBQ
4583 Hunter Ln
Byrnes Mill, MO 63051

>>Photographs of menu<<

============================

Also, here's a place near my work that has a fine looking impressive resume of trophies from BBQ comps, both local, state, and national. They also have videos of the place.
>>BBQ ASAP<<
15581 Manchester Rd
Ballwin, MO 63011
636-256-1908

Based on my "word of all things BBQ" (my coworkers think my passion for smoked food is worthy of worship), my employees have eaten there many times. The quality can be everything from amazing to ordinary. The service can be, at times, "odd", because I've been told they enlist their young children as assistants.
I've eaten their food many times, but have never stepped foot in the place. Based on what coworkers have described, and the food I've eaten, it's like "one of us BBQ Brethren" decided to buy a brick and mortar BBQ place and make a living off what we know of smoking. The food is great, but subject to the stresses of an BBQ guy being over his head with business management, if you catch my drift.

=============================

Avoid "Bandana's" at all costs.
This chain went from great to "FAIL" as time went on. Their food is what the common folk think BBQ/smoke "should be", because that's the facade they have. Back in the day, they used to be very good, but as time went on, I think the pressures of big city business and costs and profits have cut them down to the McDonalds of BBQ in St. Louis. I am very ashamed to say that I would not recommend this place to anyone on this forum.
There are about 15 locations in and around STL.

==============================

If you're into the TV show called "Diners, Drive-in's, and Dives", >>Here's a map<< of the places they've been in Missouri (clicking your mouse and scrolling the wheel will zoom in on St. Louis). If memory serves, there is some BBQ in there.

Enjoy your trip to "The Lou", and Welcome to St. Louis.
Pictures with caption, and text based on your thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Rock on man.

Oh...I've never eaten at Pappy's.
Although they do seem to be "the place" (from what I've heard) for BBQ in STL.

We enjoy Pappy's but heed the warnings about weekend dining. IIRC, they open at 11 am on Sat & Sun. Get there at 10:15 or no later than 10:30 to line up or you won't: a - get in or b - get any brisket. Wait is not as bad during the week.

Pappy's is great. Bogart's in Soulard is run by a former Pappy's guy I think.

Sugarfire is great too, at 170 & Olive. I'd do brisket and sausage if you go there.

Definitely ribs at Pappy's or Bogart's.

I was out there early last year. I swear you could almost mistake Pappy's brisket for prime rib. Amazingly tender and juicy, with the right amount of smoke. Sauce would be a crime. And the ribs... even better than the brisket.

Pappy's and Bogart's are both very good but the best is Sugarfire (Olive & Price, just west of I170 and a couple of block from my home). The thing that makes Sugarfire outstanding are the sides - as most Qjoints the sides are like an after thought but at Sugarfire, they are something special - not must beans and slaw 8)

Back