BBQ Brethren "As Seen on TV" Throwdown!

Ooooooo! I'd like a plate of that Ty! Since both the entree and side are BOTH "As seen on" I don't see a problem personally.

PA200150.JPG

PA200182.JPG

It was tasty.

I'll bet it was tasty!!! :thumb:

Fantastic entry! :clap:

The inspiration for this cook came from the Brethren sales and ventures section. Looking into Fred's music and BBQ supply I found that SmokinGuitarPlayer was giving away Free rub and sauce samples to the brethren. I signed up. Sure enough, in a couple of days I received a bunch of samples in the mail. So I went to his web site and found a recipe he used for rib eyes.

Heres the link. http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/category_s/539.htm

REDEYE RIBEYE STEAKS ON THE GRILL!

Here's a simple way to make some great steaks. We get ribeye cuts from the "wholesale" club store ...they are a ribeye roast ... cut them aprox 1 1/4 " thick ... then we coat them with olive oil and a liberal coating of our Tasty Licks Redeye Ribeye rub... allow to sit for 30 minutes at room temperature. In the meantime, we get our charcoal / ceramic grill up to around 550 degrees and put on a cast iron cooking grate. We then "oil" the cooking grate with more olive oil on a cloth, then drop on your steak and listen to that sizzle! Cover the grill and wait aprox 30 to 45 seconds, then open the grill, grab the steak with your tongs and rotate it 90 degrees and put it back down on a new, hot piece of the cooking grid and close the grill again (this makes those cool crossed sear marks). The after another 30 to 45 seconds, flip the steak and repeat the process ...then .. close your grill completely,, on a ceramic close all the vents / ports etc and let the steak bake in the smoke and heat filled grill a few more minutes until cooked to your preferred done-ness. We like it 130 to 135 internal temp for medium-rare in the center. .. Enjoy the goodness of a coffee infused rub on redmeat!

Well, Heres the pron and my entry.

Redeye redmeat rub
DSC03899.jpg

A nice thick rib eye fresh on the grill!
DSC03883.jpg

Pulled after 10 minuets.

DSC03885.jpg

Plated with baked potato smothered in butter and corse ground pepper with steamed broccoli on the side. This was A great tasting rib eye and I have to say that Fred's Tasty Licks Redeye Ribeye Redmeat RUB was very tasty. It was not over powering at all allowing you to enjoy the flavor of the rub and the natural flavor of a great tasting Rib eye at the same time. I also used some cherry and pecan wood chips while grilling this steak and that left a real nice mild smoke flavor that was not overpowering either.

Thanks for looking Brethren!
Money shot!
DSC03894.jpg

Last edited:
Ooooooo! I'd like a plate of that Ty! Since both the entree and side are BOTH "As seen on" I don't see a problem personally.

So has this throwdown really changed from "As seen on TV" to "As seen on" anything?

I need a ruling from the judges.

I am looking at doing a meat and a side, but they come from two different shows/videos. Is that okay, or am I flirting with a Dilly Bar?

CD

Hold that thought CD while I upload and I'll stand infront of the firing line for you. I already cooked so if it's a dilly bar...it is.

The Dilly Bar commitee has just closed session and have issued the following ruling in the above matter(s) and I regret to inform you both that their entries will NOT be receiving Dilly Bars. Below is the full text of the statement just released

You tell those two farkers nice try but there is no way in hell we will be handing out Dilly Bars like it is candy. Network TV has been doing crossover episodes for years so they are well within the scope of the TD. But just to be certain in case we the committee get pissed off and change our minds, submit the entry on a day ending in the letter Y.

So has this throwdown really changed from "As seen on TV" to "As seen on" anything?

Will work for bbq said:
I'm thinking we've probably all have done it, seen something on a cooking show, sitcom, you tube or even on the Brethren message board and just had to make it. Now here's our chance we can even expand it to anything you've seen on one of the many fine blogger sites that are our Brethren/Sisthren.

Somewhere else there was also a mention of being seen on the internet. The issue here is I don't have TV. True story. So I had to go with what I could. At least one of them fits the original rules of on the brethren message board.

:noidea:

Somewhere else there was also a mention of being seen on the internet. The issue here is I don't have TV. True story. So I had to go with what I could. At least one of them fits the original rules of on the brethren message board.

:noidea:

I wasn't picking on you, Ty. I'm just confused :rolleyes:

It didn't change. It's always been, "As seen pretty much anywhere?"

CD

Then why is the title "As Seen On TV"? :confused:

signed...

Confused in Throwdownland :becky:

signed...

I know, I think this was more of a sans special rules free for all throwdown :clap2:

signed...

Dear Confused in Throwdownland,

Please find some comfort in me telling you that your feeling of confusion is a normal reaction and part of my evil plan to cause confusion in Throwdownland. I chose to include internet for 2 reasons.
1, Some people do not have TV's (I know thats crazy right, how can you watch TV if you dont have a TV.):tsk:
2, I wanted to recreate the dish from Married with Children (Toaster Leavins') on the grill but there was no recipe on the shown so I had to resort to You Tube. :thumb:
3, Being stuck in Throwdownland I miss allot of great stuff in Q-talk and tburda fell for my trap hook, line and sinker and brought forth to me Grillinfool's Crostinis'. Muwhahaha...Muwhahaha...

I love it when a plan comes together.

Sincerely,
WW4BBQ

Last edited:
Dear Confused in Throwdownland,

Please find some comfort in me telling you that your feeling of confusion is a normal reaction and part of my evil plan to cause confusion in Throwdownland. I chose to include internet for 2 reasons.
1, Some people do not have TV's (I know thats crazy right, how can you watch TV if you dont have a TV.):tsk:
2, I wanted to recreate the dish from Married with Children (Toaster Leavins') on the grill but there was no recipe on the shown so I had to resort to You Tube. :thumb:
3, Being stuck in Throwdownland I miss allot of great stuff in Q-talk and tburda fell for my trap hook, line and sinker and brought forth to me Grillinfool's Crostinis'. Muwhahaha...Muwhahaha...

Sincerely,
WW4BBQ

I thought you were just trying to clone Oldyote.:confused:

signed...

I am also confused. Seems if it is "As seen on TV" it should at least be somewhat related to TV.

At least one entry went with the spirit of the title. Who knows maybe that will be a positive influence in my favor come voting time.
Or not.

Back