4.0# Full Packer - Have you ever seen this?

---k---

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
P1000651.JPG

P1000654.JPG

P1000652.JPG

My wife's cousin has a hobby farm. They raise about 2 or 3 cows at a time. All natural, etc. I'm told they butcher young and although the meat isn't graded, Earl says it is prime. They claim it is just amazing. Back at Thanksgiving, he told me that he normally doesn't keep the brisket, but could if I wanted. I said definitely! They butchered back in January. Unfortunately, they live around 3 hours away, so it got frozen and we picked it up last weekend.

I was told back in January it was 4#. I was a little annoyed thinking it was just the flat, even though I asked several times for the full untrimmed packer. Imagine my shock / surprise when I opened up the bag and pulled this thing out to find a full packer. Well trimmed, but still a full packer. Smallest thing I've ever seen!

Anyway, today is the day. I've given it a medium coating of Big Butz Cow Pow. The UDS is lit and coming up to temp. My plan is to cook at 275*. I got no idea how long this thing is going to cook or anything... ???

Updates to come later.

It's so cute! That must have been a small cow!

I've never cooked a packer that size, but in general I've found that smaller cuts take longer per pound, so if you're briskets normally cook at 60 minutes per pound maybe plan on 75 minutes per pound? That's just a guess.

Who the hell "raises" cows and slaughters them when their the size of a dog???

Its a full brisket with point. I would definetly not call that prime though.

Wow, a hobby steer. It is not prime, I agree with Bubba. Man that is tiny.

Who the hell "raises" cows and slaughters them when their the size of a dog???

Its a full brisket with point. I would definetly not call that prime though.

Probably the same type of people who soak their wood and mop their meat. Lots of crazy to go around. :loco:

I thought he said that they normally kill around 1100# to 1200#. I don't know if this is big, small, or what... Could also be a little of the bread and free ranging going on too. And the prime was in reference to what they normally get, not this specific cow... I'm not going to argue with him. It doesn't really matter.

You keep saying cow, it was a cow?

If it moo's it is a cow, right? :wink:

I honestly don't know. I've never heard of them talk about milking it, and I believe theey raise them just for meat, so it should be a steer? We only see them at Thanksgiving and few times a year, so I don't have all the details and this city boy can get quickly confused by farm terms.

BTW, one of their 'cattle' was featured on Dirty Jobs last season. The episode with Earl's mobile meat slaughtering truck.

That's cute little thing. Like Ted Nugent says, "The cuter the critter, the sweeter the meat!"

Matt

I did a brisky last week and thought that it was small at 14 lbs. I have Tri tips in the freezer about that size. I'm interested in seeing how it turns out!

Oh so tiny:

P1000655.JPG

Ron was right on. Little cuts take longer on a #/# basis. I normally cook around 12 hours for a 12# brisket. This went on at like 10:30 and just came off at 6:00 pm. Cooking at 250*.

Currently resting. I think it will get sliced in about 30 minutes...

Looked like it came off of a cow raised for veal at that size. I've seen them around 6 - 7 lbs, but never that small. Looking forward to hearing what your thoughts are on the quality. I'd be concerned that it may get a little dry because it's so small...but it may come out great?

I have cooked several of these, the ones I get are from show steers, you need to pay close attention to them they usually cook really fast... But they are awesome!!!!! let us know how it turned out

I would of cooked it like a tri tip! :icon_blush:

I didn't think the cows in the Jack in the Box commercial actully existed until now.:laugh:

A bite size brisky! Love it! Think everyone should have one! Now show the finished product, you're killing me with anticipation! You could market this as the "Dieter's Brisket" heh.

WOW I thought the 6.8 lb packer I got at Sams last week was little!
That one could be a whole new catagory... Like brisket on a stick!

So.....what the fark do you do with that, any way? The slices would be so small!:laugh:

Back