I've got a 500 gallon propane tank, how do I make it into a grill?

GrillinFool

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've got a 500 gallon propane tank, a trailer, and somebody who can use a cutting torch and welder. So, I need some design ideas for how to turn this into a trailered grill.

A friend of mine has done just what you're talking about. He used a hand-held grinder with fiberglass cutting disks to cut the doors/lids of the grill out. This makes a much nicer and much smaller cut than a torch. One thing he did was to cut all of the door out except the areas right next to where the hinges go, and a couple small spots on the opposite side. This allowed him to weld the hinges on while everything was in perfect alignment. He then cut through the remaining uncut areas and the door/lid functioned perfectly.

I'm also looking for ideas as to what to use for grill grates, how to design them. What to do for charcoal, but getting it in, and getting the ash out. Should we use fire bricks to retain heat? What about venting?

totally needs exhast like this

mms_picture.jpg

Chrome pipes!?! Definitely. We're think cutting some flames out of diamond steel and checking on high heat paint to trick it out. Custom rims are a must as well!

Don't forget neon street glow.

As for grates, its pretty standard to use 1" or so angle and expanded metal. Depending on the size you might need a support to run the length in the middle. This isn't the best pic but hopefully gives you the idea.

IMAG0118.jpg

Nobody has mentioned being absolutely certain that the propane tank is empty before cutting into it. I've never done it but from reading here the best way to do it is to fill it with soapy water, drain it, then fill it with clean water and drain again. We don't need BBQ'd Brethren

Nobody has mentioned being absolutely certain that the propane tank is empty before cutting into it. I've never done it but from reading here the best way to do it is to fill it with soapy water, drain it, then fill it with clean water and drain again. We don't need BBQ'd Brethren

I'm pretty sure it's empty. It was slated for the junk yard. We rescued it. But that's a good tip on cleaning it out to make sure there aren't any residuals... Oh the visions in my head of a dozens of shoulders and briskies or a whole hog.

I'm pretty sure it's empty. It was slated for the junk yard. We rescued it. But that's a good tip on cleaning it out to make sure there aren't any residuals... Oh the visions in my head of a dozens of shoulders and briskies or a whole hog.
can never be too safe around explosive gas in a sealed vessel

I would make *REALLY FARKIN' DANG SURE* that it's clean before cutting or welding it.

Even a small amount of flammable vapor can be absolutely disastrous.

I've heard of people filling them with soapy water and using a plasma cutter to cut the door while it is still filled with water. Also heard of dropping large quantities of dry ice into the tank to diplace the oxygen, making the tank safe to cut.

I've heard of people filling them with soapy water and using a plasma cutter to cut the door while it is still filled with water. Also heard of dropping large quantities of dry ice into the tank to diplace the oxygen, making the tank safe to cut.

More great advice...

A good way to make sure that the tank can not explode is to feed argon or another inert gas (I.E. CO2) into the tank. You can rent a full tank of argon or CO2 at a welders supply, and just feed the hose into the tank, and fill the tank, and keep the flow going while cutting. Of course a couple of rinsings with soap and water first wouldn't hurt...

SteveT

as long as its been empty for a while you will be fine with just filling with water once you have a opening it wont blow if you have time let soak for a week full of water it you have access to a purging gas such as argon just purge it with argon and you will be good, I weld and cut tanks quite a bit and still have all my fingers and teeth

I've cut 4 propane tanks up and made grills over the years. Only thing I've ever done is fill with water then roll it over and drain it. I'm still here to talk about so it worked for me.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 169
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 168
A good way to make sure that the tank can not explode is to feed argon or another inert gas (I.E. CO2) into the tank. You can rent a full tank of argon or CO2 at a welders supply, and just feed the hose into the tank, and fill the tank, and keep the flow going while cutting. Of course a couple of rinsings with soap and water first wouldn't hurt...

SteveT

Helium could be more fun :-D

Damn that first cut is always the worse one,!!!! I always stick a garden hose in it and fill until it start running over let it overflow for a spell ,then cut

Grill or smoker?

There are a lot of plans on here and other sites that show how they built their smokers. There a lot of ideas out there that you will pick up on and add to your build so look around and see what has been done and decide what you want to add to your build.

I've got a 500 gallon propane tank, a trailer, and somebody who can use a cutting torch and welder. So, I need some design ideas for how to turn this into a trailered grill.

Here is the design that I wend with on a reverse flow smoker on a 500 gallon propane tank and trailer...Just a few pics but you can get the idea of what I did. I still will be adding a shelf, water supply tank, santa maria grill to the trailer and probably some other odds and ends as time goes.

1stcook2.jpg

doorstop2.jpg

doorstop.jpg

doorsopen.jpg

rfplate.jpg

burn2.jpg

5001.jpg

Back