The Question Is.........

looks like it turned out great! grats bro!

I ordered 3 ea.- 1" thick 24"x48" Mineral Wool sheets from McMasterCarr yesterday for $6.82 each -- arrived at work today! Less than 24 hrs Wow - so this Weekend Ill be stuffing the Walls with this stuff.

null_zps3503588a.jpg

Maybe this Frankenstein will be in V2 in time for next year's bash. :wink:

great man

McMaster is well known for next day delivery. I use them all the time at my work.

Grainger is the same way

Nice! Can't wait for burn time results....

Well got it insulated and pulled bottom front cover off and used this High Temp Metal pookie to fill a few air sucking gaps. I pulled top off thinking the hollow sides would be open but it is actually built a little better with top of outer wall folded over so I had to take the inside walls loose but they bend around the corners so they will overlap and are held with screws. They extend down past the difusser and firebox insert ( that is bolted in ) so I had to flex the front top corners out and stuff the insulation in. The side walls I did in 2 pieces each to make it easier but was able to use one large piece on the back. Also did the Top. I can tell a difference as the walls don't have a hollow sound anymore. After getting it back together I wiped it out with wet rags, sprayed it all with Cooking Spray again, filled basket 1/2 way with KBB and Hickory chunks and Dumped 1/4 of chimney of lit on top. Had both 1" ball valves full open till it hit 225* in about 25 minutes then cut them to half it started climbing temp faster and at 300* I closed them to 1/4 and it still climbed to 375* so I closed off both valves and it dropped to 340* so I cracked one valve just slightly and it's Cruising at 350*ish. The walls are Warm to Slightly Hot where they were Burn Ya Arse Hot with no a Insulation. I'm gonna let it run a cpl hrs and see how temp does and may throw on a Pork Loin. :wink:

null_zps44f794e6.jpg

null_zps9c67e6db.jpg

null_zps90b06466.jpg

null_zps0d4eb095.jpg

null_zpsce4f6e9a.jpg

null_zpsedffd9b4.jpg

It Definately would have Best to take it completely apart and insulate it from the start before the firebox and side plate Mods :doh:.. but Oh Well.......It Done :heh: Next up is a angle iron base with casters. :thumb:

Nice job! Do you have anything else planned after the casters?

Probally add a feed thru of some sort for Maverick Probes......oh and it took 1 2/3 sheets of insulation so I have 1 1/3 sheet left.

You gotta love life when you get to play with the pookie jar.

nice work, Kevin! Sounds like you have a keeper there.

Well Hell- came in, watched some of the Blowout at Cowboys Stadium, took a shower and go cack out to check on it - 500 Fricken Degrees- all charcoal red hot - air suckin pig! :evil:

It sucks Air which ignites whole basket which runs it up to 500* ......So if I add a couple dividers and make the basket one of them Maze baskets it can't all burn at once......Maybe-- - Well that's what I'll be trying this week.......and dropping the basket from 3 1/2" clearance underneath to 2 1/2". :mmph:

The original rubber gasket has burned up so I put 1/2" fiberglass rope gasket around firebox door and a firebrick divider in charcoal basket. Fixin to fire it up and let it runs a cpl hrs - if it holds steady decent temp I'll be trying a Turkey for a practice Run for Thursday. Using KBB and Cherry Wood n Hickory Wood Chunks- I dropped 10 lit Briquets into corner of charcoal basket.

Holding Steady at 300* in slight rain 34* Outside-- it had shot up to 425* but I got it down to 325*ish before Turkey went it.

Back