My 1st Brisket. Fingers crossed!

Smokin Turkey

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Today I am doing my first brisket ever. I started up the new Plat-former in smoking setup with bricks, and the hinged rack it came with. I will soon make a custom for it but that'll be another thread. I then laid in the bottom the alum drip pan with 1" water, and a few chunks of aged cherry on the top of the coals. The coals are lit using an adapted minion method.

I rubbed the hunk of meat down heavy with bovine and threw it fat cap up. Argue if you must.. lol

It went on at 12:20ish and hope to pull it around 6 tonight.

0910091322.jpg

0910091329.jpg

0910091329a.jpg

I can never get a brisket tender in anywhere near 6 hours (more like 8-10 for me @ 210-220). That doesn't mean it won't work for you, depends on the temps of course.
Good luck!

We shall see! It's running 220ish.. trying to bump it to the 240's..

It will either be my best meal ever... Or the furthest thrown meal ever!

You better bump those temps up to 300+ if you want that packer ready by 6. Nothing wrong with a high heat brisket, but at those low temps it will not be edible at 6 tonight.

Good Luck with the brisket....let me know if you need any help throwing that brisket, I'm a pro at that....

You better bump those temps up to 300+ if you want that packer ready by 6. Nothing wrong with a high heat brisket, but at those low temps it will not be edible at 6 tonight.

That's what i was thinking, too

I have done briskets at 300 in the backwoods smoker and could hardly tell a difference from one cooked at 225 except it finished much quicker. I have not cooked a brisket in the kettle before but do not see any reason it would turn out tough being cooked indirect. I cook ribs at 325 indirect in the kettle all the time, come out great and quick.

A 10 lb brisket at 225' takes 10-12 hours in my experience, no matter what cooker you are using. I dont foil though, so if you foil after a few hours that could get it done quicker, but i dont think in 6 hours.

I don't think there's anyway you can get 'er done in 6 hours at that heat. I doubt it'll even make it to the stall by then. Bump up the temp to 300-325, if you haven't already. Or plan on eating later - but PLEASE don't pull it at 6 if the probe doesn't go in like butta...

I'd up the temp to 325-350 if you want it done by 6. Foil it at 160 degrees then keep cooking it till about 190ish or the probe goes in like "buttah" Don't worry high heat briskets are great! Let us know how it goes!

Smokin', for us, using offset cooker, a 10-12lb brisket, at 250 degrees (at the cooking
surface), takes 10 hours give or take 30 minutes....

Definitely get that heat up to at least 350 and foil it as recommended above.

Ok, I just foiled the meat as it was at or above 160 everywhere I probed. I am raising the temp to 300-350 now. I also poured in about 6-8 oz of broth.

Fingers crossed! The neighborhood is wondering what the heck is smelling so good! Ive got some cherry just smoldering clean and nice!

With that much fluid and that temp I would want to pull the brisket from the foil at the end and try to set the bark again. Otherwise it may be dirty mash potatoes on that nice piece of meat.

I was fairly pleased for my first brisket. I did rush it and pulled the flat a little too soon but it was at my wife's orders. She loved it. It had great flavor and was very moist. The flavor I attribute to the Bovine bold rub and the cherry wood.

I removed the point and foiled it back into the kettle for a few more hours until it reached 205. It was amazing! I wouldn't say I am ready to compete with brisket but I know what went wrong and I think I know how to fix it.

I will post pics in the morning, I had a late night in the shop and the wife leaves for the beach in the morning.

Congrats on a successful first brisket. I love the point when it is melting tender.

Back