Heading to NOLA

Twelvegaugepump

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Heading to Nawlins in three weeks. I know it is not exactly a BBQ Mecca, but there has to be some good joints down there. I plan to do the tourist tour of must have Cajun and creole meals. Any good suggestions on some BBQ?

Also, any suggestions on some must have seasonings or bbq goodies that I should buy when I am there? I am signed up for a cooking class, but wondered if I might be missing any other gems during my trip. Thanks in advance!

There are no Q Joints in Nawlins that do everything well, but there are a couple pretty good ones.

Look up Walker's BBQ. They make a Cochon De Lait Poboy(basically pulled pork) that is outstanding. They put their sauce on it which is made with mayo, horseradish, and creole mustard. Call first though. They are not open for dinner every night, but lunch is every weekday I think.

Other than that.............get some seafood. Its CRAWFISH SEASON!!!

What class if you don't mind me asking?

I am taking a gumbo, red beans and rice, pralines and banana foster class in the French quarter. I think it is at New Orleans cooking school.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am headed there for the first time this weekend. A couple chef friends of mine made me get reservations at Cochon. We have a full foodie schedule that I can give you recommendations on when we get back.

I'm heading down there this Saturday. Having lived in that area for a good part of my life, I can assure you there is no decent BBQ. But like Q-Dat said, it is crawfish season!!! That is better than any BBQ any day in my book.

You will love the New Orleans cooking school deal. We did it 20 years ago and it was a blast.

I am headed there for the first time this weekend. A couple chef friends of mine made me get reservations at Cochon. We have a full foodie schedule that I can give you recommendations on when we get back.

Thanks SC. I have never been there so anything you find useful I would appreciate if you could pass over. Have a safe trip.

Thanks Team4. I am very excited for this class and the trip. Never had crawfish, sounds tasty.

i posed this question to my nola peeps for someone and this is what they came up with....

Brunch at palace cafe will yield Cochon du Lais eggs Benedict. Verti marte's 24 hour delivery of an all that jazz poboy will make him name his next child after it. A cab ride to Cochon will make him want to switch over to the dark side.

Bourbon house has a great oyster bar and an even better happy hour.

Green Goddess or Lillete for dinner. Root or Patois for lunch. Fat Hen or Atchafalaya for brunch

Satsuma or La Boulangerie for breakfast. Cure, Bombay club, or Tonique for licka

On the super cheap, turtle bay has kick ass pizza and a Cochon du lais po boy that will make a grown man blush. The 20 beers on tap don't hurt either.

Elizabeth's or Oceana for brunch
Domilise's, Liuzza's, and of course Central Grocery for a food poyboy/muffuletta. Turtle Bay for yummy BBQ pizzas!
Beer= Avenue Pub or sit on the outside patio at the Bulldog

Buffa's Sunday Jazz Brunch is pretty fun too! Fried green beans ftw!

And of course let's move onto the drinks: hand grenade (gotta have at least one), pat o's hurricane, pimm's cup from The Carousel Bar, Sazerac from the Sazerac Bar....just to name a few :)

Aunt tikis is the place to get down with cheap drinks and seedy people and a great juke box

I was gonna suggest some stuff in the M-I-D (Midcity) like Parkway Tavern, Doson Noodle House, Taqueria Guererro Mexico, or Venezia Italian, but seems things have already been sorted.

If you want a good burger, go to Yo Mama's on St. Peter between Bourbon and Royal.

(my pal jason added this, i don't work there)**** come bug me at Cafe at the Square for brunch we serve till 2 on the weekends. we are at saint Charles and poydras. Check out our website. Only a few blocks from canal street. Not a far walk. Should have prices and what not I believe. All great suggestions so far.

Deepsouth, you are like a tour guide. I am there for business but hope to work as much of this in as I can. I plan on printing out a map and drawing lout how to get as much of this covered as I can. I am so excited. Thanks everyone!

35 hrs till wheels up on my NOLA visit...street food festival...heck of a lot warmer than here....NO SNOW ....little ERIC CLAPTON event.. Still deciding on cook class....Need to know suggested (never had) crawfish FEED joint!!!!..

I hope to get good BBQ example at food fest as my previous post didn't result in any suggestions....Id love to get GOOD q so I can compare mine.. Snowin like a sommabitch here right now >>>>>SSSOOOOOO EXCITED

Back