• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Temp measure at the point or the flat?

V

vash

Ok folks, I'm doin my first brisket today and I've had her goin for about 12 hours for a # 10. now the flat has been stuck at 140 for forever, but the point is at 165, when do I wrap? Where do I judge the temp at?

thanks

Vash

thillin said:
vash said:
Ok folks, I'm doin my first brisket today and I've had her goin for about 12 hours for a # 10. now the flat has been stuck at 140 for forever, but the point is at 165, when do I wrap? Where do I judge the temp at?

thanks

Vash

Here's a link to the roadmap at the top of this section:

http://www.bandera-brethren.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=5286

I read that, but it didnt have where to put the probe... the point has a lot of fat around it so I'm kinda worried I'm getting escwed temps from the point, and the flat hasnt moved from 140 since about 2 this afternoon

RE: Re: Temp measure at the point or the flat?

I always check dead center of the flat, usually just under the edge of the point. I can't explain your long hold @ 140, I never probe anything until I think it should be getting to 140-150 or so (saves probe wire spagetti knot mod when rotating stuff).

After going an hour per pound, you should start being able to check by how much resistance you feel when inserting the probe. If it goes in with little resistance (like checking a done baked potato) you're there. If it requires a little force, needs a bit more time.

Sorry there wasn't more help at the hour you needed it Bro. Hope the brisket is good.

I put the probe in the flat. It usually stays at 140* for a few hours but just be patient and keep going. It will begin to rise again. No need to foil it.
I can tell it's done by using the probe as a guide but I wiggle the brisket to see if it shakes like jello. It should "wabba wabba". Then I know it's done. If it doesn't shake like jello lower the smoker temp. to hold the meat at your finishing temp. This will make the brisket break down better and make it more tender without overcooking it.
I always seperate the flat and point when the flat is done. I slice the flat and save the point to chop up for sandwiches.

I check the flat. When you checked the point is there any chance you had the probe inserted into the layer of fat between the point and the flat? I suspect that might have been the cause for the higher temp

Vash, The arrows are where I was checking with a probe in the center of the sides (mine was done at 172 deg.) The probe slide right in with no resistance.

thanks guys,

I figgured it would be better hitting the flat (more surface area) so I hit the flat right behind the point and got it up (finally!) to 170 before pulling it.. it was very soft and did the jello shuffle.. seeing that it was 4 in the morning I just coolered and went to bed.. Gonna preheat a oven to bring it back up to temp then carve that puppy.. I sure hope I was paitent enough!!

Vash

wow.. ya missed right where i poke it. Right between those 2 arrows on the left of your pic, and slightly more towards the tip of the flat pushing it in towards the point. I go it at a steep angle so i can push thru as much tissue as I can.. if you feel resistance, or "chatter" as it pushes thru the layers, give it more time. Once it goes in like buteer, give it a 2-3 hour rest wrappped and in a cooler. Personally, i pay no attention(ok very little) to temp. I go by feel, but i will very very rarely let any brisket go past 190. I try to remove them as close to 180-185 as i can.

BTW, i got 2 17lbers in there right now. :)

Double posting farker. :roll:

I gonna report you to the Poobah...oh, you are the Poobah...nevermind. :oops:

Back on topic:
Paying too much attention to temp and not to feel can be a bad thing. Professional cooks almost always go strickly by look and feel. But it is always important to monitor the pit temps.

Check the bark color - when it's the way you want it foil the brisket - oddes are the flat will be between 140-160. Pull when the POINT is 190. Let it take a nice long rest.

As always, this is my opinion - you're mileage will vary. :D

Back