Phubar's Red Roast Porkbelly Pron

wow, that looks insanely good. umm phubar, when was the last time you cleaned that poor ga ?

No time.....must cook.:wink:

That looks stellar! What's Faja Lobi? And where'd the bok choy go?

It's a Surinam marinade packed with Phlavour.
This Phlavour is the Phavorite among alot of people and kids...especially on pork.
If I send a care package to the US I always send some of that stuPh.
Bok choy went into the sauce along with the stems from the bimi.

Superb work Phubes!

What were the side vents set at ?
I need to learn this, maybe try briquettes...?

Bottom vents were dialed in diagonally...on the Phire side open and on the Phar side closed.
Top vents...open on the Phar side and closed above the Phire.

I must say...these briqs are the same brand that I always use.
Difference is that the briqs I used last sunday are out of Portugal....I took the lePhtover briqs back home with me which I bought over there.
Those were from an old batch...nowadays Ecobrasa doesn't have that type of quality anymore.
I can't cook 7 hours with 28 briqs with the current Ecobrasa.

Superb work Phubes!

What were the side vents set at ?
I need to learn this, maybe try briquettes...?

I've set a new personal record...7 hour smoked porkbelly on the WGA with 28 briqs without rePhilling.
I wanted to go for a 6 hour smoke but since there was enough heat lePht I went for 7 hours.....just because I can!:cool:
Previous record were ribs in a 5 hour smoke last year in Portugal.

Lined up the WGA with 23 cold Ecobrasa cocos briqs and added 5 hot coals...smokingwood was pear twigs.

When I was done smoking I had about 2 briqs lePht.

2 questions...any idea what your temp was during that long smoke?
Is the key to getting such a long cook out of a relatively small amount of fuel in the WGA using those nice uniformly shaped cubes? In other words, is it because they're so tightly packed in? I've only used my GA a handful of times, but haven't been able to sustain such a long cook. I'm using more traditional lump (Royal Oak)...I'm wondering if that's my issue. Do I need to take my time and really get the lump packed in nice and tightly before adding some lit coals?

Oh yeah...and great looking plate as always

2 questions...any idea what your temp was during that long smoke?
Is the key to getting such a long cook out of a relatively small amount of fuel in the WGA using those nice uniformly shaped cubes? In other words, is it because they're so tightly packed in? I've only used my GA a handful of times, but haven't been able to sustain such a long cook. I'm using more traditional lump (Royal Oak)...I'm wondering if that's my issue. Do I need to take my time and really get the lump packed in nice and tightly before adding some lit coals?

Oh yeah...and great looking plate as always

The trick is the quality of the briquettes,amount of hot coals and vent setting...but the briqs are the most important.
Quality of the briqs I used were insanely good.
I don't think you can get the same smoke time with whatever briqs you're using,check my anwser to Buccaneer.
Don't know what the temp in the WGA was...I've only used an oven thermo once in the WGA.

*edit* Check out this thread out from Swamp.....this is the same briquette but sold under another brandname: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153998

Last edited:
The trick is the quality of the briquettes,amount of hot coals and vent setting...but the briqs are the most important.
Quality of the briqs I used were insanely good.
I don't think you can get the same smoke time with whatever briqs you're using,check my anwser to Buccaneer.
Don't know what the temp in the WGA was...I've only used an oven thermo once in the WGA.

Thanks for the input, Phu. I sorta figured that the briqs were the key.
I prefer lump to any of the briqs I've found here. I don't normally use my WGA for anything except grilling...for long cooks/smokes, I fire up the WSM.
It looks like you use a fairly small amount of lit briqs...how long does it normally take to warm up before it's ready to cook on?

Thanks for the input, Phu. I sorta figured that the briqs were the key.
I prefer lump to any of the briqs I've found here. I don't normally use my WGA for anything except grilling...for long cooks/smokes, I fire up the WSM.
It looks like you use a fairly small amount of lit briqs...how long does it normally take to warm up before it's ready to cook on?

No problem!

Yeah...I know what you mean,I just like the challenge to use the WGA as a smoker and put as large as possible cuts of meats on there.

Don't know what temp the WGA is when I put the meat on.
When the hot coals are in the WGA I wait for about 5-10 minutes (lid closed),scrape the grate and put the meat on with the smokewood.
This is a tiny cooker so it will heat up quickly.

With this cook I put the porkbelly on right aPhter I put the 5 hot coals in...I guess for the Phirst 30 min. the belly got cold smoked.:wink:

I think I still need to make a WGA tutorial like Brethren have mentioned bePhore...especially with the increase of US Brethren buying a WGA.

No problem!

Yeah...I know what you mean,I just like the challenge to use the WGA as a smoker and put as large as possible cuts of meats on there.

Don't know what temp the WGA is when I put the meat on.
When the hot coals are in the WGA I wait for about 5-10 minutes (lid closed),scrape the grate and put the meat on with the smokewood.
This is a tiny cooker so it will heat up quickly.

With this cook I put the porkbelly on right aPhter I put the 5 hot coals in...I guess for the Phirst 30 min. the belly got cold smoked.:wink:

I think I still need to make a WGA tutorial like Brethren have mentioned bePhore...especially with the increase of US Brethren buying a WGA.

I'm sure anybody with a WGA that's seen any of your posts would be very grateful for that!

Back