How do you guys answer this question?

Ain't much you can't do on A weber kettle!

Just converted one of my co workers to a kettle and he smoked his first rack this past weekend and they came out great.

I explain what goes into smoking something simple as ribs. If they are still interested I tell them start with weber kettle and see how that goes. Then upgrade to WSM if your ready for the next step in smoking. Usually they always buy A WSM

I go with WSM too probably. But you can learn volumes from a cheap off set. Then again, get the wrong one it might scare em away.

I don't get asked what kind of smoker or grill someone needs. My friends and family always ask " how do you cook like that"? Usually I will offer that person to come over the next time I am cooking and will not tell them but rather show them what and why I do things. I always get a response of "ok call me next tim. So next time I cook I will call and get told they don't have time. Most folks rather just eat good food rather than cook it.

WSM is good starting place, for most. Its usually not too expensive to get into.

Back