Another one bites the dust

ModelMaker

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Terrible news, my favorite and most attended BBQ event BBQ Loo & Blues Too will be no more!
I just got the email and am very sad, 18 years of one of the Mideast Iowas best attended and certainly one of the best run BBQ contest has apparently run it's course.
I judged 14 of its 18 years and cooked my second and last contest as HART BURN Competition BBQ. (walked in Pork).
Made dozens of long time friends, both judges and cookers. Over the last few years made it a point to spend Fri. night with them until Midnight!
One of the last KCBS Master series within a reasonable drive.
So Long BBQ Loo you'll be missed by many.
Ed

Was sad to hear this. Cindy always did a top notch job. First time competing there I figured we bombed because I was out bumping my gums with people and forgot my rib timeline and pulled ribs way late for our timeline. Ended up with a 2nd in chicken and 1st place Ribs. So next 3 contest deliberately went over cooking ribs like we did at Waterloo. 2 First place ribs and 1 second.

We had hoped my health would have gotten right enough to maybe try a few contests next year and sadly this was one.

It's always tough to see these go away, more so for the friends you have made. Fingers crossed that something will replace it once it is missed.

Totally agree Ed! It sucks when it’s only 15 minutes from my house! I tried and tried to get teams to come but it lined up with Watertown, Sd every year. She had mentioned about changing the date to not coincide but I guess that won’t happen. I think the heat this year was big factor in low public turnout.

Totally agree Ed! It sucks when it’s only 15 minutes from my house! I tried and tried to get teams to come but it lined up with Watertown, Sd every year. She had mentioned about changing the date to not coincide but I guess that won’t happen. I think the heat this year was big factor in low public turnout.

Oh well, we had some good times there didn't we? Watched you go from a borrowed cooker to a superstar! Same with Ryan, 3 Weber bullets to a successful restaurant. Many teams that have given up and moved on.

Guess I'll just relish in the memories!
Ed

Back