What do you think of this?

I have seen thermometers with "pre-set" ranges for doneness instead of temperatures. Is that what this one has? My daffynitions of rare and medium rare usually don't jive with manufactures.

I think I just ordered 2.
That's the Oregon Scientific, or often rebranded as Weber.
Not the best by any means but it does monitor meat temps just fine. The probe on mine is shot and the replacement probably costs more than $7.99.
Thanks for the heads up!

i ordered two, for $17, it cant be bad to have. I am doing 3 chucks and a brisket in the AM, so it will be nice to have 4 probes instead of 2

Good find! I would have bought some but I already have 3 of them. Oregon Scientific makes one of the better units.

When I went to the store, they were marked down to $4 each so i bought three, the only thing i dont like is the pre determined temps, but for $4 who the hell cares

Hell for that price, even if they arrive not working, it's still a good deal.:shock:

motley que said:
When I went to the store, they were marked down to $4 each so i bought three, the only thing i dont like is the pre determined temps, but for $4 who the hell cares

Yep.

this is all I use anymore

Attachments

• fluke.jpg
    fluke.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 144
i have one of those from radio shack identical. my mom bought it for me the day they gave me my big trailer pit. think she got it on sale for 20 bucks or so. it is ok just a pain in the ass to get the 2 units to sync together. i have to use 2 toothpicks and press the little buttons at the same time on the back of my units underneath the battery plates. and if u dont take the batteries out when u are done they are useless the next time. i like my polder oven/meat thermometer it kills two birds with one stone. but i use both if im cookin multiple items. i guess for 7 bucks i could deal with it ..

FatDaddy said:
i have one of those from radio shack identical. my mom bought it for me the day they gave me my big trailer pit. think she got it on sale for 20 bucks or so. it is ok just a pain in the ass to get the 2 units to sync together. i have to use 2 toothpicks and press the little buttons at the same time on the back of my units underneath the battery plates. and if u dont take the batteries out when u are done they are useless the next time. i like my polder oven/meat thermometer it kills two birds with one stone. but i use both if im cookin multiple items. i guess for 7 bucks i could deal with it ..

This one is a " Fluke " goes for about 300.....the steel mill where my dad worked was kind enough to let him take it home in his lunch box.

jpw23 said:
This one is a " Fluke " goes for about 300.....the steel mill where my dad worked was kind enough to let him take it home in his lunch box.
should have clarified my post. i have the one from circuit city that they are talking about.. hehe i would like to have one the ones u have though. looks alot sturdier than the 8 dollar one.

I would buy a 8 dollar thermometer....just got lucky on this one, it has been very useful over ther years though in my line of work, very accurate.
I was using a wallyworld digital, gave it the ice water test and it was 30 degrees low.

hehe i have the radioshack version of that one above and then my 35$polder i got at linens and things,. i like that one can use it indoors and outdoors.

I have the dirty habit of leaving those outside when i'm done cooking. The weather has a bad habit of raining everytime i do.

Would make great x-mas presents

They won't ship to me.. ..
Now I have to drive across town....
But just think a case of these would make great x-mas presents....

Now where did I put my x-mas gift list.

Yours in BBQ
Merl

motley que said:

Great catch, MQ! Just went to Circuit City and bought all they had for $4 a piece. I was looking at getting a Nu-temp base with three remote units, but can't beat the price!!:biggrin:

I have the Oregon Scientific version. It works fine, but the preset levels of doneness are not what they should be. When it reaches the done level it beeps and you can’t turn off the beep. My next probe won’t be one of those

i have the weber version..

i used it once, and that was enuf not to use it again.

Back