• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Weber lids don't fit most drums. There is a kingsford 22.5 grill that fits better. Groceries stores of sometimes Lowes or CVS has them .

HOLY SMOKES!!!!!!! I am new here and looking into building a UDS. As it turns out..... I won the Kingsford 22.5 grill in a contest and will be getting it in a few weeks. I already have a grill, but thought a new one would be cool. Now I find out it will likely fit my UDS (when I get around to building it), I think it's fate.

Hopefully a food grade steel drum will be in my yard when I get home from work one day next week! haha

WOW!!! I did it! I made it all the way through this entire thread. I found my drums locally for $30 and have been cleaned, burned and ball bearing blasted. I will be building my first UDS as soon as I get back from Cali next week!!

I wish I would have made notes as I went seeing how I will have to wade back through to gather my ideas.

Thanks to all of you who have contributed to this thread!!

Hey buddy.....

Thanks for recommending this site! I can find some drums for $10 here in the BUS on craigslist. Where can I get it ball blasted or whatever it is you are talking about.

Don't worry about not taking notes throughout this thread, just make sure you take notes while you are building it and when you go back through this thread.....that way you can help me make mine better than yours! hahaha

HOLY SMOKES!!!!!!! I am new here and looking into building a UDS. As it turns out..... I won the Kingsford 22.5 grill in a contest and will be getting it in a few weeks. I already have a grill, but thought a new one would be cool. Now I find out it will likely fit my UDS (when I get around to building it), I think it's fate.

Hopefully a food grade steel drum will be in my yard when I get home from work one day next week! haha

Hey buddy.....

Thanks for recommending this site! I can find some drums for $10 here in the BUS on craigslist. Where can I get it ball blasted or whatever it is you are talking about.

Don't worry about not taking notes throughout this thread, just make sure you take notes while you are building it and when you go back through this thread.....that way you can help me make mine better than yours! hahaha

no need to get it blasted. Just do a couple of burns and it should take care of all that!

I just got a call from a guy answering my ad on craigslist (drums needed). I am calling them when I get home because they use a ton of drums and usually scrap them. I am gonna take them off their hands for free and see if I can build a fleet of UDS

no need to get it blasted. Just do a couple of burns and it should take care of all that!

I just got a call from a guy answering my ad on craigslist (drums needed). I am calling them when I get home because they use a ton of drums and usually scrap them. I am gonna take them off their hands for free and see if I can build a fleet of UDS

Oh, well I wanted to do what you did and you talked about getting it blasted.

I have read through the entire thread at different times, I do not remember anybody talking about sandblasting (or whatever media works best)?
Has anybody tried to blast off the food grade liner (red stuff)? and would you still want to burn the chit out of it after?

I would only have access to a cheap sandblaster not a large comercial setup. could not blast with ball bearings like was mentioned about the drums used for the training class in Ohio last week.

Any information or ideas about this would be welcome.

Thanks
Steve

Steve:

The cost of professional sandblasting (etc.) would be prohibitive for most of us. That pretty much limits us to removing liners by the second best method of thoroughally burning out and then cleaning with wire wheels

I have read through the entire thread at different times, I do not remember anybody talking about sandblasting (or whatever media works best)?
Has anybody tried to blast off the food grade liner (red stuff)? and would you still want to burn the chit out of it after?

I would only have access to a cheap sandblaster not a large comercial setup. could not blast with ball bearings like was mentioned about the drums used for the training class in Ohio last week.

Any information or ideas about this would be welcome.

Thanks
Steve

On the last drum I built I used a citrus furniture stripper I found at Wal*Mart on the lid and let it set for about an hour. I used a wire brush to try and remove the lining but had no luck doing that so I resorted to doing it the old fashioned way. When I burned the lid the lining just peeled right off. I'm guessing it was from the citrus furniture stripper that I used. Its non-toxic, so I'm assuming you could just rub down the entire barrel with this stuff and let it set a few hours then do a burn. That should make it a whole lot easier to remove the lining with minimal sanding.

Would that be a 6 pack, a 12 pack or a case? 6 UDS painted as your favorite beverage would look very cool --- but how would you make the plastic holder?

I am thinking a 6 pack will be good for right now. Now if only I new an artist who could paint the drums for me since I don't have that talent.

As for the rings...I am thinking of buying a large piece of lexan and CNC milling out the holes for the "beer cans" and then putting that on to look like the plastic "flipper killer" rings.

Oh, well I wanted to do what you did and you talked about getting it blasted.

The company I got my first drum from did that themselves. It was included in the cost of the drum when I bought it.

You can always look in the phone book for a bead blast shop. Or search the internet. They are all over the place buddy!

A so it begins....

This is what Steve (aka) "Butts n Gutts" and I did for a good part of the 4th of July weekend. We acquire 3 food grade drums and started the construction of our first uds. There are 4 holes on the bottom an 1" in size, then threaded 3/4 in. pipe one will have a ball valve and the rest caps. The drum was burned with a weed burner and then the inside was started with the weed burner, but ended up burning some wood to get the bottom good.
Steve then took the wire brush attachment on a drill and went to down clean the inside and outside. After that was finished, we started the painting processes. Well the pictures, speak for themselves. The fire box was made with expanded metal on a weber charcoal grate attached with stainless steel nuts and bolts and large washers. The inside was seasoned with Crisco and is set for the first burn later this week. We also made some fatties for the firework party. These fatties have long grain wild rice, green onion, cranberries, olives, roasted red peppers and mozzarella cheese. The outside is coated with pecan rub.

Attachments

• DSC00105.pdf
    320.8 KB · Views: 626
  • DSC00107.pdf
    311 KB · Views: 352
  • DSC00108.pdf
    326.5 KB · Views: 324
  • DSC00109.pdf
    311.2 KB · Views: 318
  • DSC00111.pdf
    802.7 KB · Views: 334
  • DSC00112.pdf
    142.5 KB · Views: 332
  • DSC00118.pdf
    205.7 KB · Views: 375
  • DSC00119.pdf
    911.8 KB · Views: 509
  • Hugo Fatties2.jpg
    Hugo Fatties2.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 1,651
  • Hugo Fatties1.jpg
    Hugo Fatties1.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,633
Nice looking paint job on the drum, Mad Max. Get ready for a whole new cooking experience. I love my drum. It is easily my favorite cooker.

Looks like the lid warped on you. That happened to me when I tried burning the paint of to. So the next lids I did by hand with a grinder and they stayed nice and flat.

On the last drum I built I used a citrus furniture stripper I found at Wal*Mart on the lid and let it set for about an hour. I used a wire brush to try and remove the lining but had no luck doing that so I resorted to doing it the old fashioned way. When I burned the lid the lining just peeled right off. I'm guessing it was from the citrus furniture stripper that I used. Its non-toxic, so I'm assuming you could just rub down the entire barrel with this stuff and let it set a few hours then do a burn. That should make it a whole lot easier to remove the lining with minimal sanding.

Thanks for the tip on the citrus stripper. I will try that on the drum. my friend and I burned 1 last weekend. Just too much work and too hot for a fat guy to stay outside all day with a weed burner and a wire brush trying to clear it out. Now if we can just get a break in the rain (we need it bad but the weather is saying thunderstorms everyday for next week at least, maybe the drought might finaly be over).
I guess we will see how it turns out.

Thanks

We are planning out the paint job we are going to give it, and we were thinking about painting a logo on one side of the barrel. My question is, do you think ceramic paints would hold up to the heat?

We are planning out the paint job we are going to give it, and we were thinking about painting a logo on one side of the barrel. My question is, do you think ceramic paints would hold up to the heat?

duracolor engine enamel is a high heat paint that is available in many colors at automotive supply stores - kragen out here has the most selection of colors

duracolor engine enamel is a high heat paint that is available in many colors at automotive supply stores - kragen out here has the most selection of colors

That is what we used and they do have quite a few colors available, I was also told by the guy at Auto Zone that caliper paint is also high heat tolerable. Good luck!

Back