Keg for smoker?

smokeydog

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
One of my tenants gave me a full size keg. Talked to my welder he assured me he could cut the top off. So far ok. What suggestions with pictures does anyone have for the best use. (other than to refill)? Thanks, for your help. Roll Tribe!

Aluminum, It'll react with any oils and acids associated with cooking. Heat retention also seems to be a problem or we would see aluminum smokers everywhere. Other than that it should be ok.

all beer kegs I have seen are stainless steel. Used on the west coast as crab cook pots a lot.

Beer Kegs are stainless. Don't cut the top OFF, that's what gives the barrel it's strength.
Cut it horizontal to make a bbq grill with lid. Or maybe you can insert one of those sawdust smoker things in the bottom and use it as a smoker. Have your welder use a plasma cutter and use the top ring as a guide for a circular cut, that will give you about a 12" opening. Keep the cutout and with a little more welding it can be your cover/chimney.

Like this......
http://www.huntingdoncocustoms.com/hcc-keg-smoker--grill.html
And he is a member, check out the sales and ventures forum...

yhst-17151663636253_2166_5749

I'd make a 15 gallon stainless boil pot for making beer, soup, crab boil, etc. Some also use the keg with the guts (spear) stripped out as a boiler for moonshine. Then you'd have a reason to get a steel drum for an Ugly Drum Smoker. decisions, decisions.

Thanks for the suggestions. The moonshine maker is out. I think the top could be cut out and a barrel smoker made. Really need to see how the intake is worked out. All it takes is a little time and money. Guess the beer smell will go away at some point.

I have a 15g stainless keg sitting around also... I have been saving it for some sort of project that hasn't been determined yet. I was going to turn it into a beer brewing kettle but decided against that. I do like the idea of slicing it horizontally and making a grill out of it...

Back