Orange-Chipotle BBQ Sauce

JMSetzler

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
20110715_Sauce.JPG

I finally have a weekend off so some Q is on the horizon. I wanted to make a new home-made BBQ sauce and the idea of Orange and Chipotle has been on my mind for a while so I whipped up a batch of this...

Orange Chipotle BBQ Sauce

Ingredients:

1 18oz Jar Smucker's Sweet Orange Marmalade
1 cup ketchup
1 cup water
1/3 cup Chipotle Tabasco Sauce
1/4 cup molasses
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tsp ground mustard
1 tbsp honey
2 cloves finely minced garlic

Mix all ingredients and bring to a slow boil over medium heat. Let boil slowly for 10 minutes and then remove from heat to cool. Place in air tight container and put in the fridge and serve as needed... makes about a quart...

Upon initial tasting, this sauce is fairly sweet with a fantastic chipotle finish. I'll taste it again tomorrow after it has had time to settle...

One suggestion for next time.. You might consider ditching the tabasco sauce in favor of a can of Embasa Chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce. I find them at many markets here in my area -- the cans are small -- about 1/2 the size of a soup can and there are typically 2-3 peppers in a can with the adobo sauce. I frequently take one or two peppers put them into a food processor with some mayo to build a spicy mayo which is great for sandwiches or ???

Anyway, my brain is telling me it would be great in this recipe.. YMMV!

Sounds great! Definitely have to give it a try.
I've been messing around with a similar approach, using Dr. Pepper and chipotles. I made it once, but it could be better. If/when I improve it, I'll share with the class.

Orange and chipolte. Two of my favorite flavors! Thanks for sharing. :thumb:

Back