• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Weber Smokefire returned!

Grif054

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I really wanted to love this grill but had 4 or 5 problems and not a good grill for anyone with a wooden deck. Really wanted to be able to slow cook and grill at high heat with the pellets and I thought this looked good. Checking out the Cookshack PG1000. I know its old technology but if anyone has any comments about the Fast Eddy, let me know. Thank you.

Mine went back today after it caught fire, what a mess!

I've got a couple Cookshacks we use for the business and a PG500 at home, you'll love that 1000 model if you have use for the high temp sear station on it but the 18" Q area is pretty tight.

After trying most of the popular brands of pellet cookers my favorites are still the Green Mountains, I've got the old model DB and new JB Prime that I absolutely love for just about anything we cook at home and the wireless ap really works well on both of them.

Living this far North it's nice in the winter to throw some butts on before bed time low and slow and wake up to see the readings on the dual temp probes and be able to bump up the heat to finish them from the phone ap without freezing your hind end off before the first cup of coffee.

Mine went back today after it caught fire, what a mess!

I've got a couple Cookshacks we use for the business and a PG500 at home, you'll love that 1000 model if you have use for the high temp sear station on it but the 18" Q area is pretty tight.

After trying most of the popular brands of pellet cookers my favorites are still the Green Mountains, I've got the old model DB and new JB Prime that I absolutely love for just about anything we cook at home and the wireless ap really works well on both of them.

Living this far North it's nice in the winter to throw some butts on before bed time low and slow and wake up to see the readings on the dual temp probes and be able to bump up the heat to finish them from the phone ap without freezing your hind end off before the first cup of coffee.

Thank you for the quick reply! Sorry to hear about the fire. My Weber was a nightmare. I will check out these Green Mountains now.

Check out Smokin Brothers, too. Really well made, and they have a heat wave attachment meant for getting higher temps where you want to grill. I have never used the Heat Wave, but the SB smokers are awesome.

Thank you for the quick reply! Sorry to hear about the fire. My Weber was a nightmare. I will check out these Green Mountains now.

I really like the features on the new Prime model and the extra space on the Jim Bowie versus the older DB model has come in handy. I can get two 10 pound bags of chicken quarters on the JB Prime.

The prime model now has variable speed fans and auger, and that thing holds on the set temp almost perfect and when you change the set temp it doesn't under or overshoot it much at all to make the correction.

It has dual temp probes now also, that's been pretty handy to use in conjunction with the phone ap.

Your not far away at all, your welcome to play with 'em if you'd like.

Wow. What a debacle this thing is turning into.

I'm eagerly awaiting the story behind how this thing got to market with as much hype as it brought. The horror stories are so uniform in their details that you have to expect Weber knew all of these issues and decided to ship it anyway.

I love Weber but have only ever owned their most basic, 3 burner gas grills. I've always admired how easy they are to keep in service for decades on end.

Not being able to start your pellet-jamming, grease fire machine because of bad software integration? YIKES.

Wow. What a debacle this thing is turning into.

I'm eagerly awaiting the story behind how this thing got to market with as much hype as it brought. The horror stories are so uniform in their details that you have to expect Weber knew all of these issues and decided to ship it anyway.

I love Weber but have only ever owned their most basic, 3 burner gas grills. I've always admired how easy they are to keep in service for decades on end.

Not being able to start your pellet-jamming, grease fire machine because of bad software integration? YIKES.

For sure. When there are people spraying the ramp inside the pellet hopper with food grade silicone spray to get the pellets to slide down. that pretty much tells you not too much R&D went into this grill. I had 4 or 5 problems with this thing that I cant see any kind of update will correct. And i have had quite a few different pellet cookers. I have never seen one chew up so many pellets! I realize that is the case with searing temperatures but it still is a hog!

Wow, not good when even the locals call it a disaster, were pretty loyal. Did anyone in IL get contacted to try it out and give feedback? I gotta imagine Weber being in Palatine and with many BBQ-Brethren in IL they would of reached out to some of us??? It's hard to imagine they designed, built and released with no consumer input? I work for a manufacturer and we go through months and months of user feedback, it's always insightful.

Thanks,
Greg

Wow, not good when even the locals call it a disaster, were pretty loyal. Did anyone in IL get contacted to try it out and give feedback? I gotta imagine Weber being in Palatine and with many BBQ-Brethren in IL they would of reached out to some of us??? It's hard to imagine they designed, built and released with no consumer input? I work for a manufacturer and we go through months and months of user feedback, it's always insightful.

Thanks,
Greg

I cannot imagine who did the testing on these things. Even at 30 degrees outside I could barely read my display and dial was sluggish at best. Considering there based in Palatine I would think they would have factored in the Chicago winters. (Plus quite a few other problems as stated).

(Hope all is well Greg, I bought some Green Egg stuff from you last year.)

Pellet Hopper issue is Ridiculous as it was a known problem on several brands -you'd think they'd of had a Clue.......

if anyone has One they want to get Rid of - I'll pay $.10 on the Dollar and Mod it and Play with it and Report Back.......... :grin: increase Hopper slide angle, deflect or move fan somehow, add diffuser over flavorizer bars or instead of, rework grease drain trough and if none of that Helps - break out me Sledge hammer........

Last edited:
I cannot imagine who did the testing on these things. Even at 30 degrees outside I could barely read my display and dial was sluggish at best. Considering there based in Palatine I would think they would have factored in the Chicago winters. (Plus quite a few other problems as stated).

(Hope all is well Greg, I bought some Green Egg stuff from you last year.)

Heck, Last year this time it was -70F (wind chill) and actual -21 F I can't imagine how they overlooked this. The others issues like unexpected fires is really concerning. I cook on a BGE, all ceramic but when I cook overnight I wheel it to the middle of the back yard, if it catches fire I loose protein no big deal. I don't own a pellet pooper but catching on fire is the last thing I would expect.. Weber has a great name and being a local company "we do right by the customer" it will be interesting to see how things play out.

Thanks,
Greg

Back