Chicken & Maple wood?

Dlabrie

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I am going to do my first cook on my UDS. I plan to cook a whole chicken at around 350°. I have a lot of 2 year old maple and have chunked some of it up. I plan to put a couple of pieces in with the charcoal. I will rub the chicken with some oil and sprinkle with some dry rub. It will sit vertically on a BCC stand with a drip pan underneath. How does this sound? Am I missing anything? Here is a pict of the maple chunks (you can see the size relative to the bricks)as well as the supply.

I also have some Oak in the wood pile. Can that be used for smoke?

Attachments

• 1-IMG_4158.jpg
    1-IMG_4158.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 120
  • 2-IMG_4160.JPG
    2-IMG_4160.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 120
Maple is my favorite wood for anything that flies. And yes you certainly can use oak to smoke with.

I use maple sparingly in lump charcoal with good results. Maple is pretty mild and chicken takes on smoke readily.

Thanks everyone. This is the maiden voyage of my first UDS, actually of smoking anything. I figure I'll work my way up to a brisket.

The chicken is in the UDS. I rubbed her with oil, sprinkled some seasoning on her, inserted 1/2 can of beer and stood her on the grill. Potatoes in oil and salt added as well. I started the coal in my home made chimney with a piece of birch bark. Sure did smoke:laugh:. It has been in for 10 minutes and the temp is only up to 217. I hope it climbs. I was hoping to cook at 350. I put about 10lbs of lump charcoal with 3 pieces of maple. If it doesn't go up, I may have to take it apart and put in a larger quanty of maple. I just looked again and it is up to 253 so maybe it won't be a problem. More to come....

Attachments

• 4-IMG_4168.jpg
    4-IMG_4168.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 3-IMG_4166.JPG
    3-IMG_4166.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 2-IMG_4165.JPG
    2-IMG_4165.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 1-IMG_4164.jpg
    1-IMG_4164.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 63
One hour into it and it looks like 298 is going to be the top temp. I wonder if I drill another hole in the cover If I could get it hotter.

Attachments

• 1-IMG_4170.jpg
    1-IMG_4170.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 56
I opend her up, pulled everything out and the coals were only burning in a small section. So, I stirred them up, added 4 chunks of maple and put everything back together and the temp shot up to 375. Hope it stays there.

Sounds like you're on your way to a successful cook.
That nasty smoke from your chimney is the reason I won't cook with birch.

The meat of the chicken was great! The skin was tasty but not crispy. Probably because I couldn't keep the temp high enough. Any tips from the experts? The maple gave it a nice light to medium flavor. Next up.... a rack of ribs:-D

Attachments

• 1-IMG_4171.jpg
    1-IMG_4171.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 2-IMG_4172.JPG
    2-IMG_4172.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 3-IMG_4174.JPG
    3-IMG_4174.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 36
Only advice I can give is the temp needs to be at least 325 the whole cook to get crispy skin.

Looks good though!

I can't tell for sure... might need more intake air

Can't tell from pic. Make another and I will come over and taste it for you. Lol.

Good looking bird. Sounds like you need more intake. I have to shut mine down, almost completely, to maintain 270°F.

Matt

Back