so i did something to ribs that i have not done in a long time (in case you were wondering, no foil was used in the making of these pictures)

RichardF

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
i glazed them.

yes, for some glazing on the grill after smoking is part of the ritual, but for me i'd always been a bit opinionated in regards to how ribs should be preped and served and glazing wasn't part of it. if you wanted to dunk my dry-rubbed ribs in sauce, that was your choice, but i wasn't going to serve them taht way. that being said my wife asked for *wet* ribs, and against my better judgement, i made them for her. and to be honest, i really liked them.

DSCN1487.jpg

go figure :roll:

First off very good looking ribs. I like you for a long time wasn't going to "glaze" my ribs. I used strictly a dry rub and that's it. Well, since I've done some what of a 180.

I stopped using dry rubs altogether. What I do now is make a vinegar based homemade mop sauce that I let sit over night. I smoke my ribs for the first four hours completed "naked" or in other words with NOTHING on them. No rub, no marinade, no mop sauce, NOTHING. The last 10-15 minutes I glaze or "Mop" this sauce religiously over my ribs. The sugars in the sauce caramelizes and "dries" to the slab.

My ribs have never tasted better and people now request my ribs rather than tolerate them. Everybody has their own way. Figure out the way you do ribs best and stick to it. Continue to try to improve but stick to what you do best.

I like ribs, in many different ways, dry, wet, mopped, glazed. It all comes down to flavor and texture, those look good to me. Why be limited by preconceived notions.

Man, that CHIT looks gooooooood.
Nice PRON. My screen has teeth marks now.:biggrin:

You did good... To be honest, there are times I do glaze, and there are times I don't...

It's just what suits me at the time...

Nice looking ribs and remember " if mama's not happy ain't nobody happy":biggrin:

First off very good looking ribs. I like you for a long time wasn't going to "glaze" my ribs. I used strictly a dry rub and that's it. Well, since I've done some what of a 180.

I stopped using dry rubs altogether. What I do now is make a vinegar based homemade mop sauce that I let sit over night. I smoke my ribs for the first four hours completed "naked" or in other words with NOTHING on them. No rub, no marinade, no mop sauce, NOTHING. The last 10-15 minutes I glaze or "Mop" this sauce religiously over my ribs. The sugars in the sauce caramelizes and "dries" to the slab.

My ribs have never tasted better and people now request my ribs rather than tolerate them. Everybody has their own way. Figure out the way you do ribs best and stick to it. Continue to try to improve but stick to what you do best.

I would like to try your mop sauce, if you would share the recipe.

We don't glaze here....well most of us locals don't glaze anything BBQ in the Lone Star State but those look 2 good to ignore. I think I will take a run at that with Sweet Baby Rays or something I might mix up that is similar. Very nice...no foil? No crutch? I will try 4 sure.

Bama...Totally naked? WOW that will be tough to do.

We don't glaze here....well most of us locals don't glaze anything BBQ in the Lone Star State but those look 2 good to ignore. I think I will take a run at that with Sweet Baby Rays or something I might mix up that is similar. Very nice...no foil? No crutch? I will try 4 sure.

Bama...Totally naked? WOW that will be tough to do.

Especially when I'm bbq'n on the front side of the house so the neighbors can see. :biggrin:

Had me worried for a bit; foil is allowed, but I thought you might have committed Faux Que and boiled them. For the record, I'd eat those even though I don't normally glaze mine. However, as others have already pointed out, the wife must be obeyed...

Looks good. I foiled my ribs the last couple times but won't do it any more, My wife flat got the a$$ about it.

Oh no problem. I will forward the recipe to you when I get home from work.

If you would not mind I also would like to have the road map for yer ribs... They look mighty fine and I would hit that... A few times!

TIA!

Back