• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

UDS Flat Top question

RangerJ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Anyone using their UDS with the flat top configuration?

If yes...do you clean the lid? If so, with what?

I've never had a smoker that I had to clean the lid. But there sure is some black "stuff" dripping onto todays Pork butt.

Free seasoning.:lol:

Just not so sure how thats going to go over with the judges in the upcoming competition.

It looks a bit like Motor Oil running down the sides. Wife has the digital camera or I'd post some pron of it.

Wipe it off when it's hot.

Mine use to do it but haven't had the problem in several months. Something to do with too much interior moisture?

Mine used to do it, but doesn't any more.

I also made sure my drum lid was convex. This seemed to cause the "stuff" to fun down the sides of the drum.

If yes...do you clean the lid? If so, with what?

I've never had a smoker that I had to clean the lid. But there sure is some black "stuff" dripping onto todays Pork butt.

Hit it with the weed burner. Cleans pretty much everything off the grates, too.

What type of exhaust do you have on the flat lid?

100_1638.jpg

I can see it may be an issue if you have a stack exhaust, the drum cooks with convection and is pretty moist. I get more carbon flaking and grime with the kettle lids, but with my flange mod it stays inside the drum.

It looks a bit like Motor Oil running down the sides. Wife has the digital camera or I'd post some pron of it.
Like to see that. I guess I don't use mine enough.

I use the self-cleaning oven method – heat the chit out of it... Once in a while I'll load up a full basket of charcoal for a short cook of chicken thighs or something. Once the meat is done I just open both vents to WFO and let that sombitch burn. It's not pretty. But I bet it's sanitary.

880736162_bd4505bb12_o.jpg

Back