My 1st Comp Boxes, from Sayville

LOUMAFF3

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Looking for some comments and evaluations of my first boxes, I will post the scores after. For my first Comp I was happy with my turn-ins…. 8)
(disregard the date on the pics.. its wrong)

Sorry no ribs, it was crunch time:-?

Attachments

• 100_2637.jpg
    100_2637.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 248
  • 100_2641.jpg
    100_2641.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 247
  • 100_2645.jpg
    100_2645.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 246
Seven across the board.

Not bad for a first effort. Neaten up your greens, cut back on your sauce (esp. on the brisket) and trim your chicken for a more symmetrical, oval shape and your appearance scores should improve. That pork chunk looks really tempting - making me hungry for a late night snack!

I'm not a judge but I like chicken that looks like chicken. But if you are going to have untrimmed chicken get all the pieces going the same way. Lastly, find a way to get rid of the rush marks.

I agree w/ Civil. I'd give 7's.

Are you using a silicone brush on the chicken ?

Try to moisten up the bark on the pork.. it looks dry that way, but when you get them to glisten, it really makes the chunks look fantastic.

Brisket - a little to much sauce, covers the muscle fibers too much. Might want to flip the slices around so the thicker side is on the left. Might be more visibly appealing to a judge.

Spend some time practicing with the greens and incorporate some parsley for contrast if using green leaf as a base.

7 on chicken and brisket, 6 on pork. Most of the comments I'd make are already given. I don't care for the empty front of the brisket box. Add burnt ends or more slices. On the pork, get more bark in the pulled and consider making it less "stringy" - pull less.

Overall, pretty damned good boxes for a first time! They're a hell of a lot better than my first ones!

I think think those boxes are great.
I give an 8 on the chicken, 8 on pork and 7 on the brisket.

I would say sevens across the board, I bet in person with a quick glance the chicken may get an 8, very nice color. Too much sauce on the brisket imo, maybe a little more on the pork imo. nice job, how did they end up?

Bring the garnish up to but not past the lip of the boxes, evenly all the way a round each container, the pork and brisket look like you have two halves with a waist in between.

The chicken is boxed two up, two down, and two up, I'd look at either all one direction, or both top and bottom heading to the join in the middle.

The pork, the strings look thinner than I like to see, the thinner strings dry and loose heat much quicker than thicker pulled pork, the back (top) of the garnish is above the lip of the box and detracts from the presentation, the pulled park looks moist, but it may be the light as it also looks a little greasy, I do like the bark on the chunky parts, that helps pick the box up IMO.

The brisket could do with thinning the garnish at the bottom left of the box, and two more slices at the front, and one at the back would fill the box up better. As others have said, the sauce is not even and appears to be thicker than "need" be, although it should be judged as presented, you are giving some confusing signals on your sauce to the judges. It also looks like they may be a shade on the thick side, the KCBS suggests the thickness of a pencil and the first three slices appear thicker than that, though it's difficult to be certain due to the camera angle.

I'd also say 7's across the board, though with the chicken being a possible 8 in daylight!

Thanks for all the comments. The actual scores are on there way.

-Hey Vinny, great catch on the brush.

Thanks for the comments.
The chicken turned out bigger than I expected, they barely fit in the box.
I cooked the brisket fat up, so after I wrapped it for a while the bark got a little soggy from the juice in the foil. the nice ring had to stay down on the bottom. I will change that next time around.
This was my other choice of brisket that day for turn in. A lot of good eaten after the comp.
icon_lol.gif

2008-10-26SayvilleBBQ003.jpg

And the scores were..... a little all over the place I thought?
scan0001.jpg

Looks like drew some typical judges buddy - I'm glad to see that on your first time out they threw you a few nines. Seems like there's always a Judge4 to slam ya at least once. Keep practicing and having fun with it!

I agree with the tenderness scores for the ribs, they could have cooked longer. I was working with one smoker, an older NB Bandera. It was tight. I already have plans for a second unit for the spring.

Back