• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Prime rib ?

Skidder

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Ok this will be my first prime rib cook on my Bar-b-chef offset. It will probably be about a 5 to 7 pound piece of meat, with bones. Gonna be using Royal Oak lump with a few sticks of oak along the way. Any tips would be appreciated. Maybe help on what to put for a rub, internal temp etc. I was thinking a simple rub of salt, pepper a little garlic powder. Any suggestions ? Thanks. All my other smokes are great as in ribs, chicken and pork shoulders. I'm hoping for the best with this too.

Rub it up in worsey sauce and then use your rub, i used Montreal steak seasoning. Take to 125 degrees internal, let rest for 15 minues slice eat and smile. This is for meduim rare! Here are a couple of pics from mine this weekend I posted!

DSC02259.jpg

DSC02266.jpg

Heres some insight

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44141

and heres my recipe.

measurements are approx. cup teryaki half cup soy sauce half of a small bottle gravy master and half small bottle kitchen bouquet(or you can use a whole bottle of either if ya cant find one or the other). add about 3-4tablespoon of Montreal steak seasoning to this mixture and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Then pour it all over the roast and rub it in. I also like to pierce the beat with a wide blade fork in several spots to allow the marinade to get in a little bit. If you have a heavy fat cap, add a few slices to that to allow penetration to the meat.

For the rub, use a heavy hand of Turbinado Sugar and rub it in well and let sit for about 5 minutes, then rub heavily with montreal steak seasoning. Rub it in and around the entire roast. When its covered amd disolviong, then add some more on top and just tap that on so it stays put. let the roast sit for about half hour, covered. First half hour to 45 minutes I cook in the hotspot or at 376-400 degrees, maybe a little higher. As oon as i put in the meat, damper down to allow temps to drop slowly to 275. When internal is about 90-100 degrees(or about 40 minutes) move it to your normal cookin spot and cook at about 275 till internal is 125.

At this point, either cover it and let it rest, or roll it around over searing coals to make a crust. Bring internal to 130, no higher than 135, then take it off and let it sit, wrapped loosely. Let it rest about 20-30 minutes. Temps climb into the 140s. this will yield rare inside and medium on the outboard slices. If you want to go rarer, take it off at 120 and grill to 130 then cover and rest. Usually, i roll it right over the coals in the firebox as close to the coals as i can get. This can also be used on roast beefs, top rounds...... any beef roasts. BTW.... i have seen 2 roasts at costco, one is a Boneless prime rib and the other is a RibEye.... I THINK there is a diffrence even though they are both Prime ribs cuts, one i think is just tribbed. It looked to me like the ribeye is the 'eye' of the cut, the inside section of the roast, the trimmed eye of the roast.... and the prime rib has that highly marbled outside pieces attached to it. The steaks are bigger nad shaped different... ya know those pieces on the outside of the steak that are more well done than the center but has the best flavor... thats the stuff....
attachment.php

Dear Big Brother Smoke...

You, sir, are a farker. I am so farking hungry after seeing that.

:-D :-D :-D

Take this...

IMG_4494A.jpg

Dear Big Brother Smoke...

You, sir, are a farker. I am so farking hungry after seeing that.

:-D :-D :-D

Take this...

IMG_4494A.jpg

I resemble that remark! Ain't nothing wrong with your hunk of meat either!:shock:

STOP IT!!!! U FARKERS. I am so hungry now!!! I really have to make myself one of these!!! I would imagine it is only about a 2 to 4 hour cook? Would that be correct?

15-35 mins per lb depending on where in the 225-275 range you fall and how hard you push it at the beginning, or the end.

STOP!!!!!!!!!!! You guys are killin' me.:eek: Those look so good and now I'm soooooooooooo hungry.:biggrin:

Lots of great ideas here.

PooBah's picture was from Key Largo in '05.
Until that day, I was not a fan of rare/medium rare beef.
Phil made me a believer!
His recipie works.

TIM

Thanks all and yes those pics are heaven! I know what I'm doing tomorrow. Pics to follow.

WOW! tHey all look great. I can say that I've had Timzcardz's prime rib, and it was probably the best I've ever had. That stuffed tomato is pretty damn good too!

Dayum....glad i stayed out of this one! Those were some nice lookin primes right there!

Back