• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Canopies

zabor16

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am putting together the necessary items for my first competition (CIBR Aurthur, IL in August) and have a question about canopies.

1) What sort of space is typical at competitions for each team?

What type of canopy do you use?

Sam's Club has two that I am interested in but have to make a decision.

The E-Z Up 10' x 10', which seems to be the favorite.
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=376280&pCatg=4635

There is also a portable garage 10' x 20' but I am afraid it would be too large.
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=141687&pCatg=4635

They are almost the same price so that is a toss up. I guess it comes down to space.

My thought on 10X20 is it may not be too large but looks like it would take time to assemble, with chance of loosing parts, and worst of all having to take down and properly store and pack after being run ragged by comp. Get 2 10X10's and one set of walls. Can use both if needed or leave one in truck.

The Bellys have both.....we really like the 10X20 garage, but it takes a farkin' plumber, well digger, and a pitbitch to put together.....gotta lay out all the parts first.....

Pop ups are easiest, but wind and rain storms, especially this year, seem to be attracted to them.....and you can always ask your neighbor at a contest to help you help up in about 5 minutes.

Smokin T's has one of those 10x20's. They put it together in a few minutes. Arthur is in October (not August) and can be cold. Having the 10 x 20 with sides can be real nice if its in the 40's and rainy.

http://www.cibr-bbq.com/

I have a 10x20 from Sam's Club that has lasted since 2004 with no issues (other than a few lantern burn holes). I bought my first pop up from Costco on Friday, it is made by King's Canopy, which is who made my 10x20. We will see if it lasts.

Sorry about the August/October mix up. I know better than that.

I guess I am really leaning toward the 10 x 20 now. Thanks for all the input.

Putting it up isn't the biggest issue in my opinion. It's taking it down, and packing it away. Breaking down a 10x20 Hercules after a day or two of cooking does not make my list of favorite things to do.

I have one of those put together frame 10 x 20 `s, I am in the process of looking for a heavy duty pop up model. The standard models just dont stand up to bad weather espcially high winds and the canopy covers are thin material , with light velcro ties. Lat evetn had a fast moving storm front hit as we were preping the butts , everytime the wind blew the canopy leaned over more and more, thank to maker I had the forsight to make some platic buckets fille with quickcrete and eye bolts to anchor it down , or that sucker would most likely be crushed. Not to mentio the roof started leaking my dear wife got pissed and got into my truck , LOL!!!

Go for the 2 10X10s. You can ratchet strap them down to your vehicle or trailer if you are worried about wind. I have been using them for 3 years and no issues yet.

I give up on the ezup canopies,, wind and rain with them can be a real nightmare. We've had a 10x20 carport for about 3yrs now, made by shelterlogic, I color coded all the pipes for the frame, We can have it up with all the sides on it in about 15 minutes, and you can tear it down just a quick. I picked up 2 old army duffel bags that the pipe fit into, and the tarps can be either balled up or folded up and stuffed on top of everything else depending on time. And they don't take up that much room, no more room than 2 10x10 ez ups take. And in cases with a severe strom comes through,, if need be, unhook a few bungees,, and you can pull the top off. Ever try to pull a top off an ez-up in severe weather??.. not easy..lol.. that's just my 2 cents,, well maybe 3 cents..

Thanks for all the info guys. I think I will get the 10 x 20 as I will only be able to buy one at this time. Sinking a lot of money into this right now and need to cut some costs.

Ask BBQMAYOR how those 10x20's are in the wind-farkin' neighbors!
I used 3 ezups this weekend and everything held up well with my fingers crossed! I like the ezups for the ease of putting up and storage. Let's face the brutal truth-NO canopy is designed to withold severe weather conditions.period.

check out some of the canopies on ebay!

there are some pretty good deals and are fairly tough.

ez-up's are great but you are paying for the name.

Back