Harpoon Vt 2009 Invitational

Sledneck

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
[FONT=Arial,sans-serif]Dear Barbecue Team,

We regret to inform you that the 2008 Harpoon Championships of New England Barbecue is sold out. The good news is that we will be changing our registration process for the event in 2009. Currently we fill the spots with the teams that participated in the previous year.

In 2009 we will be instituting an “Invitational” admission process that will require each team to complete an application. All these applications will then be reviewed and the most qualified teams (in our own estimation) will be invited to compete in the event.

We plan on beginning the application process in January of 2009. If you would like to receive an application, please contact us in January of 2009.

Thank you for your interest in our event.

Sincerely,

The Harpoon Brewery

[/FONT]

Got the same thing. I guess that means every 2007 team is returning, a surprise given how many new ones got in last year.

If I'm not mistaken only 3 new teams got in last year. Vinny, Willie and Us. Harpoon also holds open several spots for National Team Invites, like the Slabs, and Cancer Sucks Chicago(from last year). It will be interesting to see what the future holds for this event.

It appears to me that the growth of BBQ in New England is on the downside with all the contest cancellations we are seeing this year. All of Vito's contests have been cancelled or are not going to be events this year(including Rubbin and Racing, Peters Pond and Bikes, Bands & BBQ by the Bay). Westport is iffy, according to Tom Christine it may just be a BBQ show. Also, New Hampshire is questionable if they don't get enough teams. I guess time will tell.

If I'm not mistaken only 3 new teams got in last year. Vinny, Willie and Us. Harpoon also holds open several spots for National Team Invites, like the Slabs, and Cancer Sucks Chicago(from last year). It will be interesting to see what the future holds for this event.

It appears to me that the growth of BBQ in New England is on the downside with all the contest cancellations we are seeing this year. All of Vito's contests have been cancelled or are not going to be events this year(including Rubbin and Racing, Peters Pond and Bikes, Bands & BBQ by the Bay). Westport is iffy, according to Tom Christine it may just be a BBQ show. Also, New Hampshire is questionable if they don't get enough teams. I guess time will tell.

New Hampshire is definate. I'm not sure why people keep spreading rumors about the New Hampshire contest.

The cancellation of certain contest also has very little to do with the growth of BBQ in New England and more to do with the Organizer.

New Hampshire is definate. I'm not sure why people keep spreading rumors about the New Hampshire contest.

Everything I have read on the NEBS site has been negative. We registered the week the applications came out, so we are happy to hear we have a contest to go to. We enjoyed ourselves there last year, and did not understand the negativity to begin with.

The cancellation of certain contest also has very little to do with the growth of BBQ in New England and more to do with the Organizer.

Oooooooooh, we understand.:wink:

Does this rub anybody the wrong way? I could understand if they made it like the AR or JD going by state championships etc but "estimation"? this process is just very wrong.

Anchormen 2007 but not in 2006, Q Ball was new I believe...

New Hampshire had 16 teams as of last week, and its 2+ months out. I'm not sure if that number includes Chris and Andys teams...

I think we need to wait to learn more on the process for the 2009 contest before this goes off the deep end. We're still 4 months out from even having the 2008 event...

Does this rub anybody the wrong way? I could understand if they made it like the AR or JD going by state championships etc but "estimation"? this process is just very wrong.

It will be interesting to see what the criteria will be for selection. Who knows maybe they will look for the best fish stick entry :-D:biggrin:

Got the same thing. I guess that means every 2007 team is returning, a surprise given how many new ones got in last year.

Also got this email. It was the first communication I'd gotten since I started inquiring about applications 4 months ago. I think the communication could be better, even if just more info were available on the website.

Sorry to continue off-topic, but I believe NH has turned the corner since it got NEBS sanctioning. For sure the contest has issues but they should make some improvements this year. I'll be competing and I spoke to a bunch of NEBS teams at Snowshoe that will as well. I think the 25 teams will happen.

As far as Harpoon looking to move towards invitational, I'm biased. They sponsor my team, I'm friends with Fitz. I can only say that there is no room to expand the event, so given slots for 40 teams they want the teams that will vend and provide the best experience for the visiting public.

First question.... is this an april fool joke?

if not, I'll bite.

I can see them saying ONLY GC's can sign up, and then the highest nn scoring teams are allowed in.. it would suck for those that have supported the event in the past, now may be facing eviction... but having a 'system' is fair accounting and its up to the team to earn the entry.. It avoids a perception thats it playing favorites.

but to say..
'[FONT=Arial,sans-serif] the most qualified teams (in our own estimation)' IMO, is just unfair...

Why are 'they' experts on who is most qualified? What are there criteria?

Aren't qualifications' already quantified by the KCBS scoring system, the judges, and individual team performance?

Granted, no one can dictate how an organizer chooses to run a contest, but thats not to say we cant voice an opinion and say............ WTF?

I'd really like more information and some first hand knowledge as to WTF.... :icon_smil

[/FONT]

Pretty sure last year, every single team re-upped. It wasnt until some teams had to cancel for whatever reason that a few wait list teams got in.

It comes down to what Chris said, they want teams that will vend. Especially on Sunday. If I remember correctly last year some teams packed up and left Saturday night. They want teams that will sell food to the public, that is one of the many things that makes Harpoon so different from other contests.

Personally I am more upset about the new no swimming rule :-(

i have only been there once, so don't have much to offer.. Its just seems a little....

Mean?? :confused::redface:

but then again, business decisions aren't always in the best interest of everyone but still need to be made.

Are you serious ? Is this an April Fools Joke ?

I'm not that clever... its really a rule. I promise.

Its on the first page, says that because of liability reasons, swimming by a team member, or somone associated with a team will result in an autmatic DQ, and will result in the team not being allowed to compete at the event in future years.

RGC for BBQ Trophy
Money for RGC in the Grilling event ($250)
$500 for GC in the Gilling event

From Harpoon HQ

Our landlord witnessed several people swimming during last year’s event. He discussed it with his lawyer after the event, who made it very clear that he should not allow swimming at all. It is not enough to put up signs or allow people to “swim at their own risk”. As a tenant of the property, we have no choice but to follow his recommendations. He is gracious enough as it is to allow us to host the event in the first place. I made this as clear as possible on the application so there is no “gray” area. I know it is unfortunate, but as I said, we have no choice. I would rather error on the side of caution.

Here's my take :

I believe Harpoon has every right to do what they want with their contest.

With that said, I think it sucks and leaves me with little desire to go up there this year. It's almost being a "lame duck" situation.

I also think it's pretty comical that while I did receive an application as a returning team, I have not received this same notification/news that prospective teams have. I'm glad I am finding this out before I send in my $300 check for a contest that has a not so stellar payout.

As far as the contest, it's a nice contest. It's not that much better than anything else I've been to. Take away the free beer and then it's like most contests in most aspects.

I understand their desire to have the teams vend. However, not all teams have the skills, resources, coordination or want to take the risk of vending and all that it entails.

Not sure yey, but may need to switch gears here and go compete at the Troy Pig Out in Albany the week before and save a lot on gas money.

We'll see.

Last edited:
Back