• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

St Louis Style cut BB

Wager

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Just saw on another thread that many of you trim your ribs St Louis style. I can't find anywhere in my town that sells them this way and was wondering if anyone could give a quick tutorial on how they do it. Also, there was mention of removing the flap from the ribs. What is the flap??

Pics are all of full slab of spares laying bone side down

Flap Removal

flapremoval.bmp.jpg

St. Louis Cut

stlouiscut.bmp.jpg

Membrane Removal

membranepull.bmp.jpg

Also, there was mention of removing the flap from the ribs. What is the flap??

It is the portion of the slab which kinda folds over with a silverish membrane attached.

Don't toss it, or the "knuckles" you cut off (those be rib tips). Smoke it all up, and the flap is snacks or sliced into beans or something.

So it is basically a rack of spare ribs with the tips and the flap/skirt cutoff? Is that correct?

BTW...there are no St. Louis style BB's. Two different cuts.

Thanks Bigmista, I wasn't sure what cut they were and thought that was a certain cut of BB instead of spare ribs.

Any differences in cooking spares as opposed to BB? One takes longer than the other? I've never done spares.

Hey Thirdeye, you been hiding in my kitchen again??? I just put that rack on the BGE about 2 1/2 hours ago.....

Yeah.....I'll be over in about 2 hours to pick them up. :shock: Any sides good enough for you will be fine with me.... I have switched to Sam Adams Light, I'll bring some along. :mrgreen:

Don't throw out those skirts!!!! They are great in beans or just for snacking while De-Glazing the Cook!!!

Back