View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
hominamad
On the road to being a farker

Default Some of the best wings I've made (with pics)

Made some wings on Saturday and ended up being some of the best I've ever made. I separated the sections, and then tossed them with a healthy dose of salt and pepper, garlic powder, and a bit of paprika.

Set up the kettle for indirect, and arranged the wings. It was actually tough to find room for them all. Has anyone experimented with any of those grill accessories that give you two levels on a kettle?

Anyway, I added some soaked applewood chips, closed up the grill and brought the temp up to around 330 degrees. I cooked them for an hour before checking, and had to taste one. They were cooked perfectly. Just the right amount of smoke, and the skin got crispy to the point it made a sound like biting into a potato chip - however the meat underneath was perfectly cooked and juicy. However, they were still missing something. I decided to brush a verrrry light coating of Sweet Baby Rays sauce on them all, and cooked for another 10 min.

With this I ended up with a perfect balance of smokiness, sweet and savory. It was almost like eating ribs. The space was the one thing that frustrated me. After the first check, I decided it was ok to pile the wings up on each other to get more space. The wings closer to the coals were starting to get a bit too crispy, so I made a pile on the far side of the grill.

Can't wait to make these again!

Any other ideas for what to brush on in the end? I was thinking about making a butter/Franks Red Hot mixture to brush on and make a buffalo style one. In general I don't like sauces too much but these needed that extra something. Maybe if I use a more complex dry rub a sauce wouldn't be necessary?

hominamad is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->