BBQ Critic

ModelMaker

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Howdy Brothers in Smoke.
I just got finished judging some boxes over at BBQcritic.com. and I would like to invite you to join the judges there and begin using what has become a very exciting place for judges and cooks alike.
To those of you unaware of the site, it's a place where cooks can send in pictures of actual turn in boxes and have certified judges give them a score for appearance, it's like going to two contests for the price of one!
I think it's a great place for both cooks and judges to hone their skills and have some fun at the same time. Where else can you get 30 or so scores for your contest entry?
Speaking of 30 or so, I think with all the certified judges here at the Brethren site there should be no reason why that number shouldn't be considerably higher.
The reason I decided to fire up this thread, after I got done reading the last comments from the other judges, it struck me that the quality of judges comments has greatly improved as far as following the rules of judging and also how much closer the scoring has become since the site started up.
You cooks are always wanting the judges to have continuing education and I can't think of a much better way to have your say and see how the rest of the judges see the same box. I think it's working....
So cook teams keep sending in pics of your contest boxes and you certified judges join in and sign up. Herb sends out a email to all the judges when he has a new batch to be scored and it only takes a few minutes to score and then read scores of the previous boxes that everybody has already judged.
You know what they say, the more you put into something the more you get out of it.
Ed

Was not aware of that site. Might help us part time comp cooks learn a thing or two!
Thanks again.

bbqcritic.com is a great site and the purveyor has written for Smoke Signals, the Brethren magazine.

It's a great resource for teams and for helping judges to keep 'sharp' if they judge infrequently.

Thanks for the op!

Eric

BBQCritic.com is an absolutely fabulous site!

BBQCritic.com is an absolutely fabulous site!

It is definitely one of the hidden BBQ gems on the Internet!

In addition to the "Judge my Box" section, they do ask all sorts of thought provoking questions.

I have been reading and participating in this site since 2011.

I feel that this site has made me a better and more informed judge.

It would really be nice if more judges and cooks participated in the discussions.

Ken
The Mustanger
Parkville, MO 64152

Can I go there and have e-judges dock my boxes because of an upside down piece of parsley out of the 500 florets that went into the box?

Lol, I shouldn't be stirring the pot. I do have a box on there that took a 1st and just got hammered on there.

Waiting for a smoker is the worst thing ever. Ranks up there with being in grade school waiting for Christmas

Lol, I shouldn't be stirring the pot. I do have a box on there that took a 1st and just got hammered on there.

Waiting for a smoker is the worst thing ever. Ranks up there with being in grade school waiting for Christmas

As long as anyone new to the sites knows that every imperfection will be torn apart and to understand the scores will be lower they will be fine. That is the purpose the site serves. They have so much longer to look at the boxes here. I know my scores will be lower, but it is still a good site to see what might have been missed. It definitely serves it purpose.

I like playing "how violently will this box get it" :becky:. I submit all the time. Great site.

I am happy to read my BBQ Critic site is helping out cooks with the feedback from Certified BBQ Judges. Awesome! :cool:

GREAT JOB Herb!!! I LOVE BBQ.CRITIC to see how my judging matches up with other CBJs. fnbish is totally correct in his estimation that the scores generally are a bit lower as the CBJs have MUCH longer to look at the box and scrutinize any and ALL errors.

Keep up the GREAT work!!!

Herb has done a great job with BBQCritic.com. Once again this year, BBQ Critic will be at the 2013 Frostbuster taking pictures of each entry to post online.
Should be a great read.

Frostbuster + BBQ Critic = a winning combination. Cooks and judges actually talking to each other :-D. Cooks getting to question the judges on their scores, judges telling cooks what would raise those scores. And then the boxes get posted for on-line judging (appearance only). Gotta love a deal like this!

I am looking very forward to attending Frostbuster 2013. What a great experience for both cooks and judges. The perfect event for BBQ Critic to cover indeed. Look forward to seeing everyone soon! :)

GREAT JOB Herb!!! I LOVE BBQ.CRITIC to see how my judging matches up with other CBJs. fnbish is totally correct in his estimation that the scores generally are a bit lower as the CBJs have MUCH longer to look at the box and scrutinize any and ALL errors.

Keep up the GREAT work!!!

Appreciate it very much. I will do my best! Judging boxes online is a great exercise for judges, and often provides very valuable feedback to cooks. I am thankful for the judges who actually take the time to help out the cooks with their online scores. They are the backbone of BBQ Critic. :-D

bbqcritic.com is a great site and the purveyor has written for Smoke Signals, the Brethren magazine.

It's a great resource for teams and for helping judges to keep 'sharp' if they judge infrequently.

Thanks for the op!

Eric

I will be writing a column in the next issue of Smoke Signals. :)

Back