Thermometers...

J&B'sBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I'm knocking around the idea of investing in a few meat thermometers for when we start competing (a month from now). I have a thermapen for the instant read, but I want something that I can get a continuous read on the meat and smoker temps. I've looked at the Maverick ET-732, but am afraid of some of the negative reviews. Any other suggestions out there on what to look into? Or is the Maveric really the way to go and the negative reviews are just people that don't know what they're doing?

Thanks!

I really don't understand the negative reviews. My buddy and I each have one and both love it. Part of it might be that the probes burn out really quick at times and people don't bother calling the company. From everyone I've talked to on here, if it does happen, they get a new probe out to you asap.

The other 2 options are an igrill, or a thermoworks model that costs about twice as much as the et732.

I read where some of the issues came in the washing process (don't submurge). We have a different Mav product and I just hand wash the probe with soapy water and a rag, so I would assume this would be the same process.

I will keep that in mind about calling them for replacement probes.

Thanks for the info!

Get it and see if it works for you. It's a good unit for it's purpose. I don't use one, but that's just because I don't feel I get that much bang out of my buck for one. Many, many others find them to be well worth the money and can't imagine life without them. So try it and see.:thumb:

I have had no problems with mine and would recommend getting one as it is very helpful.

You could start with one to try out and see if you like how it operates before investing in a few.

I think I'll get one and try it out, as suggested. We many not find it useful in the long run, as we do well without anything now, but I think in my frantic nervousness of the first competition I may screw up our temps/times a lot :grin:

I purchased a Maverick ET-73 and it stopped working after using it twice. I guess that would explain to me why they felt a need to redesign it. IF they were a stand up company, they would offer some sort of adjustment or credit for us holding defective units. I would really like to purchase one of their newer units, but refuse to do so until they give me good reason. ThermoWorks could have this market if they want to, and my hope they will someday release a product to compete. I expect after this post you will see a lot of people that will give Maverick glowing reviews.
Good Luck on whatever you decide,

I own the Maverick as well and I have no issues with it. We also have 3 Polder thermometers that we use in comps.
One point I can make is that I always worry that the Maverick is not as sturdy. I have no real evidence it is but it just feels so light weight that I think if I drop it - it will break.

I have an igrill and love it and have had no issues with it at all.

I have a Maverick ET-732 and it works well.
That being said, the pit probe failed after about 10 cooks and I had to buy a new one.
I have a probe grommet on my cookers, never got it wet and handled it carefully.

If you want a professional quality unit get a Fluke or similar unit.

they use industry standard thermocouples that are easy to find, interchangeable and inexpensive.

I have a Maverick, its fine for what it is but its a toy compared to a Fluke.

this is the one I have but there are much more inexpensive units

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/FLUKE-Thermocouple-Thermometer-4YV88?Pid=search

Here is a real nice Extech, they make nice units too

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/EXTECH-Thermocouple-Thermometer-1LYR5?Pid=search

Maverick I've used from Day 1. I've upgraded to a Stoker for big on the line cooks but still use my 2 probe Maverick. As mentioned earlier - wash by hand. I wipe them down immediately after every cook. I also have a modified water tight bag from my dive shop that I modified to keep the electronics dry.

The case keeps the Maverick safe and if I have other electronics I need smoke proofed or kept dry but easily readable ... got it on sale ;)
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=DryCaseTabletWaterproofCase

I have an ET-73 that I've used several times/month since August 2009. It has worked well. I added an ET-732 to the mix in January of this year to gain the advantage of the higher temperature range. After a couple of smokes, the pit probe started to go wonky. I sent them an email and they asked for a snail mail address to send a replacement probe. That was Monday and I haven't gotten it yet (but today's mail has yet to arrive.)

These are supposedly well made- I've seen a lot of the competition guys use them. The 69 dollar price is just for the meter, the probes are a good deal more.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/handheld/TW8060.html?tw=AMAZINGRIBS

The maverick works fine for me though.

I did order a Maverick (through Amazon becuase they're amazing for returns). If I have any issues with it I'll send it back and check out this from ThermoWorks. We have a Thermopen and love it already so I know the quality they put out.

Thanks! I'll let everyone know how my adventure with this unit goes :grin:

i love my et-732-- i did replace after about a year with the 6 foot hybrid probes.. either one can be used for meat/grill temp.

never had a problem

I'm knocking around the idea of investing in a few meat thermometers for when we start competing (a month from now). I have a thermapen for the instant read, but I want something that I can get a continuous read on the meat and smoker temps. I've looked at the Maverick ET-732, but am afraid of some of the negative reviews. Any other suggestions out there on what to look into? Or is the Maveric really the way to go and the negative reviews are just people that don't know what they're doing?

Thanks!

I chose a TW8060 from ThermoWorks it uses K type probes that I feel are more reliable then headphone jack ones. I still have the same probes I got from Auber Instruments to save a few bucks from the thermoworks brand probes. I've had the TW8060 since 10/11/2011 still use it on every cook to monitor grate temp. I wanted a Maverick but read about probes burn out and so I figured if I spend a little more money I can get a thermometer(TW8060) with some probes from Auber and shouldn't have a problem, my guru probes are bad and I haven't had it as long or used it as much as my TW8060 just my 2 cent.

I have the maveric wireless and its a piece of... I have the theromowoks kit too and its solid just not wireless. I just ordered the igrill hopefully it works my phone is always on me and i would love to see the temp of my pit from my bed.

Back