Campfire smoker?

I would just put an oversized aluminum pan over the meat on the tripod grate. That should trap enough smoke and heat. Then flip the pan back over and put your meat in it when finished! Multi-purpose. Whatever you do, I'm sure you'll modify it throughout the cooking process if you've cooked over a fire before. I always do! Good luck!

This was my solution a few years ago. It worked out ok. Inside the "smoker" we had a charcoal fire on one side of the pirepit, and the ribs on the grate on the other side.
[ame]http://youtu.be/EHQDmFlj_uQ[/ame]

I already have 2, but that's not really smoking.

Not really sure if you want advice, as you seem to shoot down every idea presented. I think brisket is difficult on any smoker, much less a homemade smoker made from aluminum pans. But you seem convinced that it will work, so have at it :biggrin1:

you can't go camping and reheat food over a wood fire... that's blasphemy!! Marwendholt, whatever you do, it will be great after, fishing, and drinking beer all day! lol

Don't get discouraged, heck, half the fun is trying to figure out how to do this sort of thing,even that aluminum foil "smoker" was pretty creative.

My only advice really is to try your idea at home first, sounds like you have time, and avert a disaster while out on the campout.

KC

I already have 2, but that's not really smoking.

Tell that to the Inuit people who smoke Salmon and Caribou like this to preserve it for the winter:fish: Say what you will but unless you try it like I have I wouldn't pass Judgement:cool:

Tell that to the Inuit people who smoke Salmon and Caribou like this to preserve it for the winter:fish: Say what you will but unless you try it like I have I wouldn't pass Judgement:cool:

Ive done butts over the fire in a dutch oven, they taste like they came from a crock pot. The smoke can't get to them.

Ive done butts over the fire in a dutch oven, they taste like they came from a crock pot. The smoke can't get to them.

:doh:Re-read this I never said anything about a Dutch Oven! Hang the meat from the chain on a hook! BBQ= heat+ meat+ fire & smoke.

Originally Posted by Bludawg
Since you have a Tripod ( that's what the wimen call me) I would dig a shallow fire pit maybe a foot deep and build a fire in it keep feeding it until it is full to the top with coals set your tripod over the pit your gonna need a hook (PBC Style) hang the brisket over the coals and wrap a cheap blue tarp around the tri pod leave about 6" clearance between the ground and the tarp for drafting and you can add wood chunks under the tarp.
This style of cooking is an ancient one used by Indigenous peoples all over the word. I have cooked venison & antelope this way on several occasions.

I would use the tripod and grate just as you planned directly over the fire (adjust temp by height of grate over the fire). Then just use your pan turned upside down over the meat on top of the grate. The smoke can enter inside the pan through the grate. The pan creates a smoke chamber (like the inside of a UDS) and helps hold a consistent temp on all sides of the meat. Worse case drill a hole in the pan and use an adjustable magnet to control the air outlet (and possibly help regulate the temp inside the "smoke chamber"). Easy and simple. Why do you need a bottom to the pan?

Brisket would not be something I would do over an open campfire, not saying it can't be done. I have always wanted to try steaks placed directly on wood embers. How about a chicken hung from a string off to one side of the fire and give it a twist every so often so it rotates, this is how it was done way back when. Just make sure to pack some tube steaks.
Dave

Back