Top Round Corned Beef

JONESY

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I was at the deli the other day and saw a top round corned beef, very lean and low in fat and cholesterol, it was already cooked and being sliced for lunch meat. I asked the guy behind the counter if they had them raw and corned, but he said they came in fully cooked. I really don't buy much lunch meat, and would love to be able to reproduce this myself. Does anyone have any tips? I'm sure the brine will be the same as a corned brisket, but cooking time and internal temp I would think would be lower. I'd like to corn one and smoke like pastrami. Any input would be appreciated.

Funny story, Three eye just came clean that he used round today. I guess I will come clean and admit that I do too.

I inject my brine and then wet cure for 7-10 days.

Funny story, Three eye just came clean that he used round today. I guess I will come clean and admit that I do too.

I inject my brine and then wet cure for 7-10 days.

Thanks for the input. Do you smoke yours or cook in a traditional "wet" method? The only reason I ask, is that I always soak my corned briskets before smoking.

I smoke or roast and finish in foil. You can add a little vinegar to the foil to amp it up.

shhh don't tell anyone.

i've been planning on doing this. Inject and wet cure then rub with cracked coriander and pepper, smoke. Pastrami !!!! I do this usually with brisket flats, but the round seems like it would create a better slice for sammies.

if you're interested in making pastrami i just watched the first part of JMsetzler's video of making pastrami out of a brisket flat. i'm guessing you could do basically the same process with top round. i'm considering trying to make some pastrami myself. the video says he is gonna do the other part of the video next week some time.

[ame]http://youtu.be/3FrewgVV27o[/ame]

If you used a cut of meat like bottom round for this, it's gonna take a little different procedure I think due to the thickness of the meat. I think a wet brine rather than a dry brine and you would probably want to inject the meat with the curing brine also.

I did the Alton Brown corned beef last year (close at least) and it turned out okay. This was before I discovered smoking, so I cooked in the crock pot. :tsk:

It turned out well, but I think this year I'm doing the smoked route :idea:

I did try some of the Boar's Head pastrami made from top round. They should not have put their name on it. I have been planning on trying the top round but as John said the brine process should be changed. This should become an interesting project.

I bought a top round corned beef I think from Ralphs and made a pastrami out of it. It was OK but I prefer the fattier brisket flat for making the "Faux-Pas" from corned beef.

Thanks for all the input guys.

I actually found a corned top round at a local grocery store. I just need to figure out how to cook it. I've done a ton of corned beef briskets with great results, I just don't know if I will use the same process for this cut of meat.

Back