Need a hand on UDS thermometer wire

krshome

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I would love some help here on how to run the wires into an UDS. I would really like a clean look and easy way to remove when done cooking. I have been running then through the lid exhaust but is a PITA when removing the lid. I was thinking of a grommet with flaps that i could push the probe through and and seal around the wire. Has anyone done this and does it work well. Pic would be very helpful. Any ideas appreciated. Thanks so much

I have a 1/4" hole for the grate thermo and the meat probe goes under the lid. I'll get a pic when I get home

I know of a couple of options.

First, head to the electrical conduit section for these parts (I happen to have the Home Depot parts but probably available anywhere)

Halex 1/2 clamp connector Home Depot 90661 $2.05ea
Halex 1/2"lock nut Home Depot 26190 bag of 6 $.73
Halex/Rigid 3/4-1/2 reducers (washers for thermo clamps)Home Depot26820

Combined they result in this:

thermo.jpg

Note that if you use a Maverick therm the probe may be too thick to pass through the unaltered rubber gasket that goes inside the pipe. If so, you can just cut one of the walls so the gasket opens into a collar and can wrap around the therm cable.

Another, even simpler option is to just drill a sufficient sized hole to run your cables (1/2" to 1") and use a sheet of magnetic strip to cover the hole. Cut a slit from the edge to the middle of the magnet strip so you can pass the cables through and it'll adhere to the steel drum wrapped tightly around the cables. Then use an uncut magnet strip to just seal the unused hole for cooks you don't happen to use therms.

Last edited:

First, head to the electrical conduit section for these parts (I happen to have the Home Depot parts but probably available anywhere)

thermo.jpg

Note that if you use a Maverick therm the probe may be too thick to pass through the unaltered rubber gasket that goes inside the pipe. If so, you can just cut one of the walls so the gasket opens into a collar and can wrap around the therm cable.

Another, even simpler option is to just drill a sufficient sized hole to run your cables (1/2" to 1") and use a sheet of magnetic strip to cover the hole. Cut a slit from the edge to the middle of the magnet strip so you can pass the cables through and it'll adhere to the steel drum wrapped tightly around the cables. Then use an uncut magnet strip to just seal the unused hole for cooks you don't happen to use therms.

Hey Foxfire, I like! Question can two wires fit through the rubber gasket? Do you need the 1/2-3/4 reducer if the hole is drilled perfect for the threads of the clamp connector? Thanks

F60002BF-4ED3-49B4-8D3E-492AFC9E249C-11077-000013769242E197.jpg

83675639-8ACA-41F8-A2DF-B9A2EDE83C2B-11077-000013769603C246.jpg

It's hard to see but the probe comes in by the bolt. No problems at all

Now the questions. First where did you find that brackets for your shelf? I have been looking for a bracket like that forever. Next does the hole effect the the air intake of the drum and does a lot of smoke come out of the hole?

Hey Foxfire, I like! Question can two wires fit through the rubber gasket? Do you need the 1/2-3/4 reducer if the hole is drilled perfect for the threads of the clamp connector? Thanks

One gasket can absolutely take 2 cables. I'd guess you could get up to four through there, especially if the side is cut open so you don't have to thread through the opening but rather wrap the gasket around. I can't speak from experience but I wouldn't think you'd need the reducer as you describe.

Now the questions. First where did you find that brackets for your shelf? I have been looking for a bracket like that forever. Next does the hole effect the the air intake of the drum and does a lot of smoke come out of the hole?

I got the brackets at home depot by the cabinet accessories.
As for the hole, I don't notice any smoke coming out the hole at all. The temps are very stable as well.

A simple way would be to just take a die grinder and cut and smooth the slot about 1/2" down from the lid. There's a million other ways but this is free.

Get yourself to a music /audio store or Radio shack and pick up these jack receivers...

wvsmxg.jpg

Simply rip the connectors off the rear ( can be completely stripped if you wish)and you are ready to install by drilling a hole and using the nut supplied to bolt them in.

ifvsl2.jpg

My larger armored cables fit easily including the bend so regular probes should be fine , should be able to get two in at the same time. No rough edges to compromise the wires either.

2hocsnd.jpg

thermo.jpg

Hey Fox fire I used you idea with the electrical parts from HD and works great thanks. I was able to get my grill wire and food wire threw with no problem. Nice mod!

A simple way would be to just take a die grinder and cut and smooth the slot about 1/2" down from the lid. There's a million other ways but this is free.

IMHO, this works best. I have tried the Halex thingy mod and also the lamp reoar kit grommet mod and you still have to deal with threading the wire through, then placing the probe in the meat, When removing, you have to take it our of the meat and then remove the meat form the cooker.

Just cut a vertical notch in the rim of the drum, depp enough from the rim so that the wires are not crimped by the lid when you cover the drum. Now you can place the probes in the meat on your work table then just lift the meat into the cooker, and place the wires in the slot. Make the slot wide enough to fit as many wires as you need. You won't have any appreciable air/smoke leak (if any at all).

Back