Roasted comp chicken: rule 45?

J

jmoney7269

Looking for input on chicken cooking on a UDS. I saw this thing called rule 45=4.5 lb chicken 450 for 45 min. My last attempt at comp chicken practice was pretty decent. I'm practicing alot at chicken Because it's my worst category.
Cooked @350 and it was an improvement on my normal 300 cooks
588e9654.jpg

Got a diffuser plate for my UDS now so I think I can push the higher temps. I turn in chicken halves for IBCA and CTBA.
Use 1 chunk of pecan, 3 chunks of cherry, and some
Lit briquettes and let the fire go for 1 hr to clean up before putting the meat on
5f779da3.jpg

There is a team in my area called orange maple cookers and they kick everyone's arse with just lump charcoal on a old smokey.

I just bought the IQUE wicked good BBQ book and have heard good things about the spatchcocked chicken. Any comp advise is helpful.

Surely some of you had to of put your chicken on late and had to cook high temp. I just heard Howard Muniz of orange maple cookers just snapped off 1st place chicken in Pasadena tx with over 100 teams. I have cooked against him before in a pretty tough crowd, and got 11th, he obviously got 1st. I would love to know what the heck he does to make his chicken so farkin good!

He and his wife compete almost every weekend, Justin. That helps

To be honest, I'm more worried about Teresa than Howard at most comps. In fact she RGC'ed the same 100 team competition you speak of.

Interestingly enough, Women cookers finished 1,2.3.

Cut the chicken in half is my suggestion. Your mileage or course may vary.

KCBS or ICBA?

For KCBS, cut the chicken into 8ths, and throw out everything except the thighs. Thighs win.

That is a good looking chicken, a split of spatchcocked chicken is easier to handle once you cut into halves. But, it will cook different that a whole vertical chicken.

Drill some holes in your UDS, get some rebar and hang em. I would split them for comps. Some of the best chicken I've ever done.

76fdfc17.jpg

Back